Someone help. Sequence and continuous functions.

In summary, the conversation discusses confusion over finding limits for sequence and continuous functions. The experts explain that they do not know the details in advance and use an example to show how to prove the limit is correct after it is found. There is no set rule for finding limits, but rather it involves simplifying expressions and comparing them to known functions. The study of different types of functions in precalculus can aid in this process.
Charles007
I am confused with sequence and continuous functions.

I am confued with their limit. how do they know the min and max before they attempt the question. and is that the only solution to the question? I mean. Everytimes if I see kind question like this, is that only way to do it?...

Many thx.

Squence

View attachment 20305

Continuous Functions.

View attachment 20306

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The short answer is that they don't know the details in advance. Using the first problem as an example, you see that for large n, the numerator is essentially n2, while the denominator is essentially n3, so the fraction is roughly 1/n. The rest is just filling in details to make it rigorous.

I still don't understand how to get it. :frown:

Do you understand that the example, as given, is not an example on how to find the limit but how to prove the limit is correct after you have found it? That is, for the purposes of the example, how the limit, 0, is found, is irrelevant.

The first sequence is
[tex]\left\{\frac{n^2+ 2n}{n^3- 5}\right\}[/tex]
and, as mathman said, for very large n, the highest power in both numerator and denominator will be far larger than the rest so, for large n, the fraction will be close to [itex]n^2/n^3= 1/n[/itex] which goes to 0 as n gets larger and larger.

So we guess that the limit of the given sequence is 0. Then we proceed to show, as in the example, that 0 is, in fact, correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
Charles007 said:
I still don't understand how to get it. :frown:

There is no hard and fast rule. Limits are a way of rigorising the art of approximation. Your job is to simplify an expression enough so that you see the general behavior as it approaches some point, and then guess or approximate what happens at that point by comparing it to functions you already know. You can also use the rigor of making sure that there is some number bounding the expression.
This is partially why you studied the behavior of all those different types of functions in precalculus.

What is a sequence function?

A sequence function is a mathematical function that takes in a set of numbers and produces a sequence of values. It is commonly used in calculus and other areas of mathematics to describe how a value changes over time or as a function of other variables.

What is a continuous function?

A continuous function is a type of function where the output value changes smoothly as the input value changes. This means that there are no sudden jumps or breaks in the function. It is an important concept in calculus and is used to describe many real-world phenomena.

How are sequence and continuous functions related?

Sequence functions are often used to define continuous functions. This is because, in order for a function to be continuous, it must have a defined limit for all possible inputs. Sequence functions can be used to show that a function has a limit, and therefore is continuous.

What is the difference between a sequence and a series?

A sequence is a list of numbers that follow a specific pattern or rule. A series is the sum of the terms in a sequence. In other words, a series is the result of adding together all the values in a sequence.

Why are sequence and continuous functions important in science?

Sequence and continuous functions are important in science because they allow us to model and understand complex systems and phenomena. They are used in many scientific fields, including physics, biology, and economics, to describe how variables change over time or in relation to other variables.