1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Someone please explain this physics concept

1. Mar 24, 2009 #1
    My teacher had a long metal pole (I believe it was aluminum) and said that it was NOT magnetized. He put a magnet up to the side of the pole and it did not stick, and he dropped a marker through the top of the pole and the marker came out the bottom at a normal rate. However, when he took a magnet and dropped it through the top of the pole, it took a long time for it to come out, maybe 10 seconds. Then it just slipped out the bottom.

Some one please explain this phenomenon, thanks!!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Sounds like this may be part of your assignment, to figure out why there is a difference. What are your thoughts? Why would there be a difference between holding the magnet stationary against the non-ferrous metal, versus sliding it along next to the metal?

4. Mar 24, 2009 #3
    Oh sorry I should have explained..

The only thing I can really think of is that it that the magnet might be trying to set up a magnetic field inside of the pole. It also could be that the pole has a much smaller area for the magnet to go through so it is experiencing the effects of its own field but then again I am not sure that is true..

5. Mar 24, 2009 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Boy, it's hard to give a hint on this question without giving the answer away.

I'll try this, but it may still be too much. Use Google or Wikipedia.org to learn how magnetic brakes work....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook