What is the detailed physics of the EMS maglev levitation system

In summary, the conversation discusses the physics behind an electromagnetic suspension (EMS) Maglev train. The train uses magnetic attraction between electromagnets and ferromagnetic magnets on the guide way to levitate and propel itself forward. The physics behind this involves the use of equations such as F=BILsinθ and the creation of a traveling electromagnetic field along the guide way. The conversation also suggests looking at different models and diagrams to better understand the concept.
rosieq1!

Homework Statement

I have to complete a detailed essay on the physics of an electromagnetic suspension (EMS) Maglev train. Using physics concepts and showing equations i must explain how a) the train levitates, and b) how it is propelled along the guide way.

Homework Equations

F=BILsinθ

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I already understand that the EMS system levitates above the guide way using magnetic attraction between electromagnets on the undercarriage and the long-stator ferromagnetic magnets on the guide way. But i am required to give a detailed essay on the physics to a yr 12 standard, i have tried to find how i can explain the physics in more detail then "opposite poles attract". I am thinking that maybe there is some sort of field around the electromagnet that causes it to be attracted to the long-stator ferromagnetic magnet.

b) I understand that a long-stator linear motor is fixed to the underside of the guide way, the stator pack is made of ferromagnetic material and wound with the motor's three-phase windings. To propel the train an AC current is applied to the cable windings, braided into the long-stator pack to produce a 'traveling electromagnetic field' along the guide way. The field draws the train’s electromagnets forwards as one, propelling the train.
What i want to know is if this principle is the same as F=BILsinθ, in that there is a current, a magnetic field and the length is the track (guide way). If the magnetic field runs across the track and the current is directed up out of the track, then there would be a force acting on the train that would propel it forwards.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am thinking that maybe there is some sort of field around the electromagnet that causes it to be attracted to the long-stator ferromagnetic magnet.
You mean a magnetic field?
You should look through your course notes on electromagnets and magnetism to see what sort of models are being used ... then describe it in those terms.

It may help to look online for particular types of EMS system, pick one, and describe how it works.
i.e. get a picture and draw the force arrows and field lines in perhaps?

thankyou, i'll look up on that and talk about the different fields created by magnets

1. What is the principle behind the EMS maglev levitation system?

The principle behind the EMS (ElectroMagnetic Suspension) maglev levitation system is electromagnetic repulsion. The train is equipped with powerful electromagnets on the bottom that repel against the electromagnets on the track, creating a levitation effect.

2. How does the EMS maglev system control the levitation height of the train?

The EMS maglev system uses sensors and a computerized control system to constantly adjust the power and polarity of the electromagnets on the train and track, ensuring that the train stays at a consistent height above the track.

3. What materials are used in the construction of the EMS maglev track?

The EMS maglev track is made of steel and concrete. The steel rails have a specialized shape to help stabilize the train and reduce friction. The concrete is used as a base for the rails and to provide a smooth surface for the train to glide on.

4. How fast can the EMS maglev train travel?

The top speed of the EMS maglev train is currently 375 mph (603 km/h), but it has the potential to reach speeds of over 600 mph (965 km/h) in the future. This makes it one of the fastest modes of transportation in the world.

5. What are the advantages of using the EMS maglev system compared to traditional rail systems?

The EMS maglev system has several advantages over traditional rail systems, including faster speeds, smoother rides, lower maintenance costs, and decreased noise pollution. It also has the potential to be more energy-efficient and produce less pollution since it does not rely on fossil fuels.