1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Something about Physics and Global Position System(GPS)

1. Oct 22, 2009 #1
    Hi all,
    Im a international student and studying a project about expain Physics used in the development and use of the Global Position System(GPS)

I just wanna get some ideas about where I can start to do research. I mean did some one give me some points and infomations for this topic?

Those are what i know so far:
    1: definition of GPS
    2: 3 satallites can locate a point, then can find out the location and distance.
    3: using clock can find out the location precisely. (Actually i dont understand what's 'clock' technology using in GPS)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

I suggest you read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS
    You could include the physics of the satellite orbits. I would be interesting to find the length of time a satellite is above the horizon on each orbit and how that varies with orbital radius.
    The affect of timing accuracy on the calculated position could be calculated.

4. Oct 24, 2009 #3
    yes, thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook