Something I don't understand about kirchhoff's laws

• Thread starter Eitan Levy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laws
In summary: You did not show this voltage, nor did you show any of the other voltages across the resistors. You see what I mean here? Once you have REALLY and properly labeled ALL of the currents and voltages then correctly writing loop equations is trivial and you can't confuse yourself about which way things go and it is also trivially easy for others to follow your logic and point out any mistakes.In summary, the conversation is about solving a circuit problem involving an ammeter, a voltmeter, and an unknown resistance and voltage. The correct equations have been provided, but the difficulty lies in determining the direction of the current and voltage arrows. The person seeking help has not provided
Eitan Levy

Homework Statement

The value displayed on the ampetmeter is 2A.
The value displayed on the voltmeter is 5V
Find the unknown ε and R

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the correct equations, I am sure of it. However on of them is:
2*2+2*10-ε-RI1=0
How do I know if RI1 (I1 is the current on the "branch" with the unknown R) is 5 or -5? The correct answer is -5, because the answer is 29. How do I know this? Why can't it be 5?

Attachments

• ‏‏לכידה.PNG
    ‏‏לכידה.PNG
    2.5 KB · Views: 485
Physics news on Phys.org
It can be 5 or -5 depending on which way you have drawn your current arrow.
Eitan Levy said:

Homework Statement

The value displayed on the ampetmeter is 2A.
The value displayed on the voltmeter is 5V
Find the unknown ε and R

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the correct equations, I am sure of it. However on of them is:
2*2+2*10-ε-RI1=0
How do I know if RI1 (I1 is the current on the "branch" with the unknown R) is 5 or -5? The correct answer is -5, because the answer is 29. How do I know this? Why can't it be 5?
Since you have not shown your assumed current direction in the loop on the diagram I have to assume that your difficulty is that you drew the arrow such that the answer is -5 instead of the +5 you would prefer. Reverse your arrow and you'll get +5

phinds said:
It can be 5 or -5 depending on which way you have drawn your current arrow.

Since you have not shown your assumed current direction in the loop on the diagram I have to assume that your difficulty is that you drew the arrow such that the answer is -5 instead of the +5 you would prefer. Reverse your arrow and you'll get +5

The direction isn't supposed to matter, I am supposed to get the same answer, and I don't know the answer beforehand so I can't do what you suggested.

Eitan Levy said:
The direction isn't supposed to matter, I am supposed to get the same answer, and I don't know the answer beforehand so I can't do what you suggested.
That makes no sense.

phinds said:
That makes no sense.
What do you mean? There is only one correct answer, 29, what I am asking is how can I know if it's 29 and not 19 using what was given to me.

Eitan Levy said:
What do you mean? There is only one correct answer, 29, what I am asking is how can I know if it's 29 and not 19 using what was given to me.
Draw DIRECTION ARROWS on the diagram for ALL voltages and currents and then we can talk more.

phinds said:
Draw DIRECTION ARROWS on the diagram for ALL voltages and currents and then we can talk more.
upload_2017-12-12_21-41-12.png

My equations:
I3=I1+I2
12I2-ε-RI1=0
RI1+6+3I3=0
(Again, no idea if RI1 is 5 or -5 and if I2 is 2 or -2).

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-12_21-41-12.png
    upload_2017-12-12_21-41-12.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 294
12I2-ε ? Since the voltages are going in the same direction, why did you subtract when you should have added?

What is the value of I2? You didn't show a sign on the ammeter. Please show directions for ALL voltages and currents.

phinds said:
12I2-ε ? Since the voltages are going in the same direction, why did you subtract when you should have added?

What is the value of I2? You didn't show a sign on the ammeter. Please show directions for ALL voltages and currents.
From what I understood if the current is headed to the "longer" line you subtract and the opposite. I have solved a lot of problems so far and it always worked for me.

If I understood you correctly the equations should be:
I3=I1+I2
12I2+ε-RI1=0
RI1-6+3I3=0
Still no idea if RI1 is 5 or -5 and if I2 is 2 or -2.

Please show directions for ALL voltages and currents. I'm just going to keep saying that until you do it. I don't consider that there is anything to discuss without a complete circuit diagram.

Eitan Levy said:
From what I understood if the current is headed to the "longer" line you subtract and the opposite. I have solved a lot of problems so far and it always worked for me.
I have no idea what that means but it doesn't sound good.

phinds said:
I have no idea what that means but it doesn't sound good.
Not a native speaker, I am talking about the voltage source.

phinds said:
Please show directions for ALL voltages and currents. I'm just going to keep saying that until you do it. I don't consider that there is anything to discuss without a complete circuit diagram.
I really don't know what you are talking about.

phinds said:
upload_2017-12-12_22-44-11.png

Is this good enough?

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-12_22-44-11.png
    upload_2017-12-12_22-44-11.png
    4 KB · Views: 325
Not really, but it will have to do. When I say ALL what I actually mean is ALL. For example, there is a voltage across the 2ohm resistor and it will have a value of 2I2 with the arrow pointing to the right. You did not show this voltage, nor did you show any of the other voltages across the resistors. You see what I mean here? Once you have REALLY and properly labeled ALL of the currents and voltages then correctly writing loop equations is trivial and you can't confuse yourself about which way things go and it is also trivially easy for others to follow your logic and point out any mistakes.

I'm getting ready to cook dinner so I'll be back later and look at this again

The way I see it you have four possible cases where you consider the each possible "direction" for the readings. So, for example, the value for your assumed ##I2## could be +2 A or - 2 A. I suppose that some of the cases will lead to either contradictions or unrealistic values for components (Such as the sign of ε not matching its drawn symbol, or a negative value for R).

And to add a specific to what gneill said, if you assume the voltmeter has one polarity you get E = 19v and if you assume the other polarity you get 29v. I'm getting tired of saying it, but one more time. Please show directions for ALL voltages and currents.

1. What are Kirchhoff's laws and why are they important in science?

Kirchhoff's laws are fundamental principles in circuit analysis that govern the flow of electricity. They are important because they help us understand and predict the behavior of electric circuits, which are essential in many scientific and technological applications.

2. What is Kirchhoff's first law and how does it work?

Kirchhoff's first law, also known as the law of conservation of charge, states that the total current flowing into a junction in a circuit must be equal to the total current flowing out of the junction. In other words, charge cannot be created or destroyed in a circuit, it can only flow from one point to another.

3. How does Kirchhoff's second law apply to circuits?

Kirchhoff's second law, also known as the loop rule or Kirchhoff's voltage law, states that the sum of all voltage drops in a closed loop must be equal to the sum of all voltage rises. This law is based on the principle of conservation of energy and is used to determine the direction and magnitude of current in a circuit.

4. Can Kirchhoff's laws be applied to both AC and DC circuits?

Yes, Kirchhoff's laws can be applied to both AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) circuits. However, in AC circuits, the laws are applied to the average values of current and voltage over a complete cycle.

5. How do you use Kirchhoff's laws to solve circuit problems?

To solve circuit problems using Kirchhoff's laws, you first need to draw a circuit diagram and label all the components and their values. Then, apply Kirchhoff's first law to junctions and Kirchhoff's second law to closed loops in the circuit. Use these equations to solve for any unknown values and check your answers to ensure they satisfy the laws. Finally, draw the final circuit diagram with all the values labeled to represent the solution.