Non-ideal voltmeters and ammeters

• Thread starter Eitan Levy
  • Start date
In summary, the voltmeter is not ideal and the current measured by the ampermeter will be "shared" by the voltmeter and the resistor, causing a higher value for the same current.
Eitan Levy

Homework Statement

Someone did an experiment with an ideal voltmeter and an ideal ampermeter using the circuit in the picture, and got the graph in the picture.
-We know use an unideal voltmeter, how will the graph change?
-We know use an unideal ampermeter (the voltmeter is ideal), how will the graph change?

Homework Equations

V=IR
u=V-Ir

The Attempt at a Solution

The graph basically displays u=ε-Ir.
I figured that if the voltmeter is not ideal, the same current measured by the ampermeter will be "shared" by the voltmeter and the resistor, causing a higher value for the same current. In the answers they say it won't change.
Then, I figured that if the ampermeter is not ideal, the value will decrease quicker, becuase now u=ε-Ir-IR, this one doesn't have an answer.
Where is my mistake? Am I right?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180529-184928.jpg
    Screenshot_20180529-184928.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 563
Physics news on Phys.org
What you should do is redraw the circuit replacing...

a) the symbol for a battery with symbols representing a non ideal battery. In this case you have enough info to calculate r but it's not needed for the problem.

And

b) the symbol for a volt meter with symbols representing a non ideal voltmeter.

I disagree with the book answer and your answer.

CWatters said:
What you should do is redraw the circuit replacing...

a) the symbol for a battery with symbols representing a non ideal battery. In this case you have enough info to calculate r but it's not needed for the problem.

And

b) the symbol for a volt meter with symbols representing a non ideal voltmeter.

I disagree with the book answer and your answer.
Hi, this is the only way we learned to draw them.
What is your answer?

Ok well...

A non ideal battery can be drawn as an ideal battery with a resistor in series.

A non ideal volt meter can be drawn as an ideal volt meter with a resistor in parallel.

Forum rules don't allow us to just give you the answer but we can help you work it out.

CWatters said:
Forum rules don't allow us to just give you the answer but we can help you work it out.
I am aware of the rules, but I would like to at least know what is wrong with my explanation so I could come up with a new one.

Ok..

Eitan Levy said:
I figured that if the voltmeter is not ideal, the same current measured by the ampermeter will be "shared" by the voltmeter and the resistor, causing a higher value for the same current. In the answers they say it won't change.

The current won't be the same because the volt meter is non ideal. The answer depends on how non ideal it is. You can get the book answer if you make some assumptions. Compare the value of the battery resistance r with likely values for the resistance of a non ideal voltmeter.

Then, I figured that if the ampermeter is not ideal, the value will decrease quicker, becuase now u=ε-Ir-IR, this one doesn't have an answer.
Where is my mistake? Am I right?

Correct.

CWatters said:
Ok..
The current won't be the same because the volt meter is non ideal. The answer depends on how non ideal it is. You can get the book answer if you make some assumptions. Compare the value of the battery resistance r with likely values for the resistance of a non ideal voltmeter.
Correct.
What I don't understand is, why doesn't this happen:

Attachments

• 123.PNG
    123.PNG
    23.3 KB · Views: 522
  • ‏‏לכידה.PNG
    ‏‏לכידה.PNG
    14.5 KB · Views: 525
All should become clear if you replace the voltmeter with the model for a non ideal voltmeter.

CWatters said:
All should become clear if you replace the voltmeter with the model for a non ideal voltmeter.
The question remains...

Attachments

• ‏‏לכידה.PNG
    ‏‏לכידה.PNG
    18 KB · Views: 490
Hint: Two resistors in parallel always have a combined resistance lower than either of the individual resistors. So the current in the circuit will increase.

CWatters said:
Hint: Two resistors in parallel always have a combined resistance lower than either of the individual resistors. So the current in the circuit will increase.
It will, but I am talking about how different would a certain point be on the graph for the SAME current. This is what the graph shows, no?

Ok I missunderstood what you meant by same current.

If you replace the ideal volt meter with a non ideal meter AND readjust the variable resistor so the current stays the same THEN the voltage drop through the battery resistance r will be the same and so the voltmeter reads the same.

It's worth thinking about the case when the current = 0. With an ideal meter this occurs when the variable resistor has infinite resistance. With the non ideal meter the total resistance can't be infinite because of the meter resistance. If you assume the meter resistance >> than r this can be ignored. But this isn't always true. For example if the battery was actually a capacitor r would be quite large.

1. What are non-ideal voltmeters and ammeters?

Non-ideal voltmeters and ammeters are electronic devices used to measure the voltage and current in a circuit. Unlike ideal voltmeters and ammeters, which have infinite resistance and zero resistance respectively, non-ideal ones have finite resistance and can affect the measurement accuracy.

2. How do non-ideal voltmeters and ammeters affect circuit measurements?

Non-ideal voltmeters and ammeters can introduce errors in circuit measurements due to their finite resistance. The voltage drop across the voltmeter and the current drawn by the ammeter can interfere with the actual voltage and current being measured, resulting in inaccurate readings.

3. What is the effect of using a non-ideal voltmeter in a high resistance circuit?

Using a non-ideal voltmeter in a high resistance circuit can cause a significant voltage drop across the voltmeter, leading to an underestimation of the actual voltage in the circuit. This is because the voltmeter's resistance is in parallel with the circuit's resistance, creating a voltage divider effect.

4. How can we minimize the impact of non-ideal voltmeters and ammeters on circuit measurements?

One way to minimize the impact of non-ideal voltmeters and ammeters is by using instruments with high resistance and low resistance respectively. This reduces the voltage drop and current drawn, resulting in more accurate measurements. Another method is to use precision shunt resistors to compensate for the voltmeter and ammeter's resistance.

5. Can calibration improve the accuracy of non-ideal voltmeters and ammeters?

Yes, calibration can improve the accuracy of non-ideal voltmeters and ammeters. By comparing the measurements of the non-ideal instruments with those of a highly accurate instrument, the calibration process can determine the extent of error and provide correction factors to improve the measurements' accuracy.