[Highschool Physics] Kirchoff's Rules

In summary: So here's the weird part: if I negate I1, I get I2=-RI1. So I2 and (3) are true. But (2) and (5) are false. So... I think I need to solve for I3.
4Phreal

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/XXPWbCN

Homework Equations

∑ ΔV (closed circuit) = 0
∑ I (in) = ∑ I (out)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that the sum of the currents entering any junction in a circuit must equal the sum of the currents leaving that junction, and that the sum of the potential differences across all elements around any closed circuit loop must be zero. BUT this picture is so weird that I can't wrap my head around it. I think that I1 + I2 + I3 = 0, if one of those was negative which it can be. This means that (2) and (3) cannot be true. Then, solving for the potential difference equations, I got epsilon=-RI1+RI2 = -RI3+RI2, so I1R-I3R=0. So my answer would be both (1) and (5), but I'm not sure if that is correct. Could anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
4Phreal said:
So I know that the sum of the currents entering any junction in a circuit must equal the sum of the currents leaving that junction, and that the sum of the potential differences across all elements around any closed circuit loop must be zero. BUT this picture is so weird that I can't wrap my head around it. I think that I1 + I2 + I3 = 0, if one of those was negative which it can be. This means that (2) and (3) cannot be true. Then, solving for the potential difference equations, I got epsilon=-RI1+RI2 = -RI3+RI2, so I1R-I3R=0. So my answer would be both (1) and (5), but I'm not sure if that is correct. Could anyone help?

Correct .

4Phreal said:

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/XXPWbCN

Homework Equations

∑ ΔV (closed circuit) = 0
∑ I (in) = ∑ I (out)

The Attempt at a Solution

Due to my OCD, I like the images to be visible -- or at least documented.

attachment.php?attachmentid=70601&stc=1&d=1402727871.jpg

Attachments

• XXPWbCN.jpg
    XXPWbCN.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 417

What are Kirchoff's Rules?

Kirchoff's Rules, also known as Kirchoff's Laws, are two principles that are used to analyze electrical circuits. The first rule, Kirchoff's Current Law, states that the sum of currents entering and exiting a node in a circuit must equal zero. The second rule, Kirchoff's Voltage Law, states that the sum of voltage drops and rises in a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero.

Why are Kirchoff's Rules important?

Kirchoff's Rules are important because they provide a systematic approach for analyzing complex electrical circuits. They allow us to determine the current and voltage at any point in a circuit, and to understand how components in the circuit affect each other. This is crucial for designing and troubleshooting electrical systems.

How do I apply Kirchoff's Rules to a circuit?

The first step in applying Kirchoff's Rules is to label the currents and voltages in the circuit. Then, identify the nodes and closed loops in the circuit. Next, write out Kirchoff's Laws for each node and closed loop. Finally, solve the resulting equations to determine the unknown currents and voltages.

What are the limitations of Kirchoff's Rules?

Kirchoff's Rules are based on the assumptions of ideal circuit elements and linear circuit behavior. This means that they may not accurately model real-world circuits that have non-linear or time-varying components. Additionally, Kirchoff's Rules cannot be applied to circuits that have magnetic fields or changing magnetic flux.

Can Kirchoff's Rules be applied to circuits with multiple voltage sources?

Yes, Kirchoff's Rules can be applied to circuits with multiple voltage sources. The voltage sources are treated like any other component in the circuit, and their respective voltages are included in the Kirchoff's Voltage Law equations. However, it is important to note that Kirchoff's Rules may become more complex to apply in circuits with multiple voltage sources.