Something i've been wondering about in an expressable format

• Thread starter Curd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Format
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of finding the lengths of the two unknown sides of a right triangle given only the hypotenuse and the sum of the sides. The speaker mentions that there are infinitely many possible combinations of side lengths that satisfy the Pythagorean theorem, but there is an additional constraint of the sum of the sides being equal to 17. The conversation also touches on the use of more than one variable and the process of solving for the unknown side lengths algebraically.
Curd
something I've been wondering about in an expressable format...

I've had thoughts about this before but this is the first time that I've been presented with such an ideal situation to express it (i couldn't figure out how to ask this question before, and still am not able to fully tie it into the other problems I've noticed it in).

anyway, i was looking at this problem, and i noticed that both me and the book came up with the same hypotenuse, but we came up with wildly different answers for what the sides measurements were.

i went with the idea that i might as well have both sides even since i have nothing telling me they're not. the book obviously took a different path.

so, i was thinking, are there not an infinite number of possible combinations for the lengths of the two unknown sides?

and therefore is not the accurate answer a^2 + b^2 = 169?

also, how exactly do you calculate all the possible answers? and how do you find the range in which those answers will fall?

and also there's the issue of this same type of situation effecting the answers to other problems.

you may notice that they wrote their solution equation differently from the way i wrote mine and of course received a particular restricted answer because of it. which means that there are any number of ways to write this equation, so long as those ways fit into a certain restricted pattern, and that each of those way will get you a different answer that generates the same hypotenuse.

and on top of that, how does this issue effect the calculation of other problems? i recall thinking some of these problems were rather arbitrarily solved... perhaps i will come up with a good example of this in the future.

anyway, what is the most productive manner by which to view this issue?

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 425
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 408
Physics news on Phys.org

Curd said:
so, i was thinking, are there not an infinite number of possible combinations for the lengths of the two unknown sides?

and therefore is not the accurate answer a^2 + b^2 = 169?

There are infinitely many side lengths (a,b) satisfying this equation.

However, you did not take into account the additional constraint from the problem statement: the sum of the side lengths must be 17. Yours sum to 18.38, so while this yields a right triangle with the desired hypotenuse, sqrt(169) = 13, it doesn't satisfy the other condition.

ah! thanks for pointing that out.

okay, tell me if this is an okay way to think of problems like this

they say the sum of the sides not the hypotenuse is 17.

so, i labelled each side x and got x + x = 17

so that means that x = 17 - x

which of course doesn't make a lot of sense and would make sense were I to use more than one variable (why don't they teach us how to use more than one variable for problems like this anyway?)

but, it allows me to make sense of why one side is x and the other is 17 - x according to the solution in the book.

and it works.

what do you think?

No, it is not necessarily true that the two sides are equal. If you call the two sides x and y, then you have x+ y= 17 so that y= 17- x. By the Pythagorean theorem, with the hypotenuse equal to 13, you also have [tex]x^2+ y^2= 169[/tex]. Putting y= 17- x into that, [tex]x^2+ (17- x)^2= 169[/tex]. Multiply that out then solve the quadratic equation for x.

HallsofIvy said:
No, it is not necessarily true that the two sides are equal. If you call the two sides x and y, then you have x+ y= 17 so that y= 17- x. By the Pythagorean theorem, with the hypotenuse equal to 13, you also have [tex]x^2+ y^2= 169[/tex]. Putting y= 17- x into that, [tex]x^2+ (17- x)^2= 169[/tex]. Multiply that out then solve the quadratic equation for x.

i know I'm supposed to use 17-x and i know that both sides are not necessarily equal.

I was trying to come up with a way of thinking of the two sides that made sense algebraically.

that's why i had x+x=17. i don't see how i could us...

i guess i could also think of the sides as x and y and so have x+y=17 and therefore y=17-x and therefore i could plug 17-x in for y in the equation so that the equation only has one variable x, correct?

so, i would have x^2 + y^2 = c^2

and therefore x^2 + (17-x)^2 = c^2

is this a better way of thinking of it?

figuring out how to put these things in algebraic terms is my most difficult problem.

Curd said:
they say the sum of the sides not the hypotenuse is 17.

so, i labelled each side x and got x + x = 17
If you label each side x, you are tacitly assuming that the two legs are equal, which is not given in the problem.
Curd said:
so that means that x = 17 - x

which of course doesn't make a lot of sense and would make sense were I to use more than one variable (why don't they teach us how to use more than one variable for problems like this anyway?)

but, it allows me to make sense of why one side is x and the other is 17 - x according to the solution in the book.

and it works.

what do you think?

Curd said:
i know I'm supposed to use 17-x and i know that both sides are not necessarily equal.

I was trying to come up with a way of thinking of the two sides that made sense algebraically.

that's why i had x+x=17. i don't see how i could us...

i guess i could also think of the sides as x and y and so have x+y=17 and therefore y=17-x and therefore i could plug 17-x in for y in the equation so that the equation only has one variable x, correct?

so, i would have x^2 + y^2 = c^2

and therefore x^2 + (17-x)^2 = c^2
Use the fact that the hypotenuse is 17, so your equation is x2 + (17 - x)2 = 17 = 169.
Curd said:
is this a better way of thinking of it?

figuring out how to put these things in algebraic terms is my most difficult problem.

so, the new way of thinking (for me it's new) is the good way?

If it allows you to correctly translate the problem statement into one or more equations, it's a good way.

1. What is the purpose of this "something" you've been wondering about?

The purpose of this "something" is to explore a particular topic or idea that has been on my mind and to express my thoughts and questions about it in a clear and understandable way.

2. How did you become interested in this topic?

I became interested in this topic through my own personal experiences, observations, or curiosity. It could also be through reading or hearing about it from others.

3. What makes this "something" worth exploring?

This "something" may be worth exploring because it could lead to a greater understanding of a concept, bring attention to an important issue, or spark new ideas and discussions.

4. Have you done any research on this topic?

Yes, I have done some research on this topic in order to gain a deeper understanding and to support my thoughts and ideas.

5. What do you hope to achieve or learn from exploring this "something"?

Through exploring this "something," I hope to gain new insights, perspectives, and knowledge about this topic. I also hope to engage in meaningful discussions and potentially contribute to the existing body of knowledge on this subject.