Soo i have to design a model car

In summary, for a school project, the task is to design and create a prototype car that can protect a large egg from cracking after hitting a wall at 35 mph. The car must also be compact, with a maximum length of 10" and width of 6". It will also be tested by falling from a 3' high table without cracking the egg. The budget and materials are limited, as the car must be handmade and not store-bought. The goal is to find a design that can safely secure the egg within the given dimensions.
jfreak15
for a school project i have to design and make a prototype car that is able to keep a large egg safe from cracking after hitting a wall and 35 mph. it has to be relatively compact in that the whole car cannot be longer then 10" and about 6" wide. then after hitting the wall will also be tested by falling of a 3' high table and still not cracking the egg. Hitting the wall will be a head on crash but falling will be pushed forward off the desk with a small force.

I have a pretty limited budget and can't use many store bought items (it has to be handmade and not machined as the teacher is checking).

I have looked around the web and found some interesting designs and was hoping someone could bring any ideas. thanks

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
the objective then is to safeguard the egg. 10" X 6" is pretty much wide space to get some damping stuff for the egg.

How do you plan to get it to 35 mph??

Those are some pretty easy specifications to meet. I'm thinking 6" ball of bubble wrap with wheels.

1. How do you design a model car?

Designing a model car involves several steps, including researching the car's specifications, creating a blueprint or sketch, building a prototype, and refining the design through testing and modifications.

2. What materials are needed to design a model car?

The materials needed will depend on the type of model car you are designing, but commonly used materials include clay, foam, plastic, metal, and wood. You may also need tools such as a saw, glue, and paint.

3. Do you need any specific skills to design a model car?

While having a background in engineering or design can be helpful, anyone can learn how to design a model car with patience and practice. Basic skills in drawing, measuring, and using tools are also beneficial.

4. How long does it take to design a model car?

The time it takes to design a model car can vary greatly depending on the complexity of the design and the materials and tools used. It can take anywhere from a few hours to several weeks or even months to complete a model car design.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when designing a model car?

Yes, it is important to wear protective gear such as gloves and goggles when using tools and materials that could cause injury. It is also important to work in a well-ventilated area and follow safety guidelines for any specific materials being used.