Sound Varieties: Rules for Varying Ranges

In summary, the conversation discusses the variable range of sound for certain vowels and how they can be affected by their placement in a word or by different contexts. It also mentions the concept of phonemes in relation to these variations.
fxdung
It seems that a sound (eg aa, ah, ih...) has a variable range of sound.I know that the before is affected by the follow, eg ''d" in do and did are different. Are there any other rules for the variation range?

Science news on Phys.org
fxdung said:
It seems that a sound (eg aa, ah, ih...) has a variable range of sound.I know that the before is affected by the follow, eg ''d" in do and did are different. Are there any other rules for the variation range?
Sorry, what?

Likes Vanadium 50 and pinball1970
I mean eg one vowel is not the same when we pronounce may time or by many people or by different contexts

fxdung said:
In English? All letters, vowels, consonants, etc vary depending where in the world you are.
In English the 'd' in do and did are the same.
'Do' will sound different in English depending where you are in England.
Can you be specific about what it is you are asking?

fxdung said:
I can't answer the particular question, but it seems you are asking about phonemes.

See e.g. :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoneme
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonology

1. What is the purpose of studying sound varieties?

The purpose of studying sound varieties is to understand the different ways in which sound can be produced and perceived. This knowledge can be applied to various fields such as linguistics, music, and engineering.

2. How do sound varieties differ from one another?

Sound varieties differ from one another in terms of pitch, loudness, duration, and quality. These variations can be observed in different languages, musical instruments, and natural sounds.

3. What are the rules for varying sound ranges?

The rules for varying sound ranges depend on the specific sound variety being studied. For example, in linguistics, sound ranges can be varied through changes in vowel length, stress, and intonation. In music, sound ranges can be varied through changes in tempo, dynamics, and timbre.

4. How do sound varieties affect communication?

Sound varieties can greatly affect communication as they can convey different meanings and emotions. In language, variations in sound can change the entire meaning of a word or sentence. In music, sound varieties can evoke different moods and convey different messages.

5. What are some examples of sound varieties?

Some examples of sound varieties include different languages and dialects, different types of musical instruments, and different animal sounds. In everyday life, we also encounter variations in sound through accents, vocal inflections, and environmental noises.