Should I study Computer science or IT with Communication?

In summary: The IT and communication programme is in a better University than the other one when it comes to "World University ranking 2014-15". The University with the IT and communication is in the 300s and the other University is in 700s. Does "World University ranking 2014-15" matter when it comes to applying for masters in different Universities or getting internships abroad?
m_p_w
So I am starting College this year. However, I can't decide which programme I should go with.

The first option is bachelor in IT and Communication. This programme has deep content of communication (networking), but it doesn't have courses like Algorithms, Database Systems, Digital Circuits, etc.(every course that is not related to communication which is normally found in computer science).

The second option is bachelor in Computer Science. This programme has a little bit of everything (software, hardware and networking), But it doesn't have deep content of anything like in the other programme.

Would you please give me some advice what is better to study?
Is it better to study a bachelor programme which concentrates on a particular field of computer science?

Physics news on Phys.org
m_p_w said:
So I am starting College this year. However, I can't decide which programme I should go with.

The first option is bachelor in IT and Communication. This programme has deep content of communication (networking), but it doesn't have courses like Algorithms, Database Systems, Digital Circuits, etc.(every course that is not related to communication which is normally found in computer science).

The second option is bachelor in Computer Science. This programme has a little bit of everything (software, hardware and networking), But it doesn't have deep content of anything like in the other programme.

Would you please give me some advice what is better to study?
Is it better to study a bachelor programme which concentrates on a particular field of computer science?
What do you want to do when you graduate?

To be honest, I want to work with hardware or software in computers (I love designing digital circuits in logisim and I also love to code in python. I did a high school project of making a basic CPU in logisim which could add/subtract/divide/multiply and describing the use of the boolean algebra in digital circuits. furthermore, I enjoy coding and figuring out how to make the program behave how I want it to behave. Overall I am very interested in all the courses which the computer science offers).

However, I was told countless of times that it would be better to study a programme which specialized in one of the fields of the computer science like IT and Communication (even if I am planning to do Ms in Computer science) because there is bigger possibility to get a job cause you are already specialized in a specific field. Additionally, I was told that a lot of jobs are IT/communication related, and hardware/software related jobs are not easy to get.

I don't know who gave you that advice, but I'd disagree with it.

If you want to work primary with software, computer science would the degree to get. For hardware, computer engineering, IT is more communication theory. Either comp science or IT will work with some with hardware, but in different ways. A comp science major might work to optimize software for particular hardware. While an IT would interface hardware through networks.

Designing computer hardware and circuits falls into the realm of computer engineers. There's still overlap with software here, and communication theory as well.

All three have favorable job outlooks, as far as I know, and probably similar in pay. Do which ever you prefer the most.

Someone who's worked in this industry may have better advice.

This might be better in the career advice forum.

As an aside, if you want to get an MS in comp science, get your bachelor's in the same major.

Last edited:
However, there is one more issue which I am struggling with.
The IT and communication programme is in a better University than the other one when it comes to "World University ranking 2014-15". The University with the IT and communication is in the 300s and the other University is in 700s. Does "World University ranking 2014-15" matter when it comes to applying for masters in different Universities or getting internships abroad?

m_p_w said:
However, there is one more issue which I am struggling with.
The IT and communication programme is in a better University than the other one when it comes to "World University ranking 2014-15". The University with the IT and communication is in the 300s and the other University is in 700s. Does "World University ranking 2014-15" matter when it comes to applying for masters in different Universities or getting internships abroad?

Aren't there higher ranked CS programs in your country you could attend?

I don't know how rankings are generally calculated, especially world rankings. Does it matter for graduate school? I don't know. I would assume name recognition of your undergrad institution would play some role like here in the US. However, going from an IT bachelors to a CS masters probably isn't as easy as also doing your bachelors in CS as well, there are skills you aren't going to learn in the IT program. (Assuming without actually looking at either of the specific programs)

Student100 said:
Aren't there higher ranked CS programs in your country you could attend?

These two bachelors are the only bachelors which are in English and I am able to afford to go to them (There are many Masters in English because most of the Universities offer Masters in English, but Bachelors in their language). Both of the Universities' names are recognised in Europe (I would assume so, because these universities are in 2 different countries, and they are very well known in their countries). But I want to know what happens if I want to work abroad (outside of Europe, for Example South Korea, Japan, Australia or New Zealand)

1. Should I study Computer Science or IT with Communication?

Both Computer Science and IT with Communication are great fields to pursue, but they have some key differences. Computer Science is more focused on the technical aspects of computing, such as programming, algorithms, and software development. On the other hand, IT with Communication combines information technology with communication skills to prepare students for roles in technology and business communication. Ultimately, the decision depends on your interests and career goals.

2. What are the job prospects for Computer Science and IT with Communication graduates?

Both fields have excellent job prospects, as technology plays an important role in almost every industry. Computer Science graduates can pursue careers in software engineering, data analysis, or research and development. IT with Communication graduates can work in roles such as IT project management, technical writing, or digital marketing. Both fields offer a wide range of opportunities with competitive salaries.

3. Which field has better earning potential?

The earning potential for both fields is similar, with slight variations depending on the specific job and industry. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual salary for Computer and Information Technology occupations was $91,250 in May 2020, while the median annual salary for Computer and Information Research Scientists was $126,830. IT with Communication professionals can expect a median annual salary of $57,340 for Technical Writers and $136,280 for Computer and Information Systems Managers.

4. Is a degree in Computer Science or IT with Communication more valuable?

Both degrees are valuable and can lead to successful careers. However, the value of a degree depends on the individual's skills, experience, and the job market demands. Computer Science degrees may be more valuable for technical roles, whereas IT with Communication degrees may be more valuable for roles that require a combination of technical and communication skills. It is important to research the job market and career opportunities in your desired field to determine which degree is more valuable for you.

5. Can I study both Computer Science and IT with Communication?

It is possible to study both fields, but it may require additional time and effort. Some universities offer combined degree programs that allow students to study both fields simultaneously. Alternatively, students can pursue a degree in one field and take elective courses in the other to gain knowledge and skills in both areas. It is important to carefully plan your course schedule and consult with academic advisors to ensure you can successfully complete both degrees.