1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Space engineering, astrophysics and cosmology

1. May 29, 2013 #1
    I discovered that I have a very strong interest in cosmology and astrophysics but the field seems to be extremely competitive and jobs are very limited.
    I am thinking of doing aerospace engineering + science combined degree just because doing science alone seems like a gamble as I might end up teaching at a high school if things go wrong.
    I would like to know how difficult the field is and if my interest and motivation are enough for me to succeed in the field. If for some reason I can't make it to the USA (as that is where this field is successful) can I still work in aeronautical engineering or other types of engineering?

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2015 #2
    I would like to know this as well, if anyone has insight.

4. Apr 26, 2015 #3
    I am not an expert but I can offer some insight.

Aerospace engineers who actually work in aerospace are dependent on the boom-bust cycles of the aerospace industry since it is something that goes in and out of style. If you have true interests in astronautical engineering I would go for the Mechanical Engineering degree. Aerospace/Astrospace are essentially subfields of Mechanical. Aerospace Engineers who are working on a team that does space-related engineering only know a few sets of abilities over mechanical engineers, who can quickly learn the relevant concepts and ideas. Plus in case THAT doesn't work out since space engineering is limited in itself, you have plenty of other lucrative options with a ME degree.

In addition an engineering-science dual degree would be very challenging to maintain high grades in and complete in 4 years. Engineers don't take any theoretical physics classes which is primarily the bulk of a pure physics major. There is at least some significant overlap with physics and engineering but with chemistry and biology there is not much. (except with chemistry & chemE I think, but even in chemE there's more physics than chem)

Hope this helps

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook