Space-time created ahead of matter - how far?

In summary, space-time is the fabric of the universe that is created ahead of matter. It is the interwoven dimensions of space and time that allow for matter and energy to exist and interact. The exact extent of how far space-time can be created ahead of matter is still a topic of debate among scientists and theorists. Some believe that space-time is created simultaneously with matter, while others propose that it can be created infinitely ahead of matter. Current research and advancements in technology continue to deepen our understanding of space-time and its connection to the physical world.
Chalnoth said:
No, it means that when you are dealing with points separated by some distance, there is no non-arbitrary way to say whether a particular time at one point is ahead or behind a particular time at another. You always can write down a global "now", but it is always arbitrary: somebody else could come up with a completely different definition that would be every bit as valid.

Fundamentally, this means that the past and the future must exist in the exact same way as the present. Reality cannot be a sort of wave moving from the past into the future, but instead the flow of time is merely a result of our perception of it.

And yet aren't we constrained by the fact that we cannot accurately predict the future? So isn't this a boundary of sorts, even if it is a localised phenomenon? If as you say the flow of time is purely perceptual, shouldn't we be able to receive information from the future as easily as that from the past?

Space news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
I think the topic has drifted away from Saddlestone's original question, which I'm not sure has been adequately answered in the spirit in which it was asked (i.e. in layperson's terms).

Let me try.

If the Big Bang had created only a whopping two particles, each flying away from the other at .5c which, after 2 years, are now 1 light year apart, what would the shape of spacetime be?

- a 1D line, 1 light year long, one particle wide (only exists where the particles are)
- a 3D sphere, 1 light year in diameter (only expands with particles' speed)
- a 3D sphere 2 light years in diameter (expanding at c, along with any EM)

If the BB had actually made 3 particles, and the first two as before whizzed away at .5 c, but the third bopped around in between the first two, would space time be formed as that particle moved, say perpendicular to the other two?

i.e does space time exist anywhere where matter has not made it yet?

Thank you DaveC426913, I think you've captured my question, and brought the thread back on track.

I also had in mind that any particle has an uncertainty in its position and therefore space-time must exist where ever the particle might exist, even though it may never have actually been there. Therefore space-time has to be bigger than the matter that is making it. Or is this uncertainty just a phenonenon of a human trying to measure the particle's position?

Lost in Space said:
And yet aren't we constrained by the fact that we cannot accurately predict the future? So isn't this a boundary of sorts, even if it is a localised phenomenon? If as you say the flow of time is purely perceptual, shouldn't we be able to receive information from the future as easily as that from the past?
Well, that sort of constitutes a local boundary after a fashion. But it isn't a physical boundary, and certainly not a global one.

But no, the reason why we remember the past but not the future is because of entropy, which sets the arrow of time.