What's Next for SpaceX in 2018: Exploring the Limits of Space and Physics?

In summary, 2018 will be an exciting year for space and physics enthusiasts, with numerous missions and milestones planned. The Falcon Heavy rocket will make its maiden flight, with the potential to launch more than one rocket per week. Other notable events include the launch of the BepiColombo spacecraft towards Mercury, the successful launch of the Electron rocket, and the failure of Angola's first satellite. SpaceX also plans to launch about half of their planned 30 missions with reused boosters. The launch of the Falcon Heavy also included a nod to "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" with a book and towel on board.
nsaspook said:

That is seriously awesome! Wow. :wideeyed:

Physics news on Phys.org
From the comment section of,

From commenter Funky Monkey1886

"Now when alien life forms come to the solar system they'll find a red land going vehicle orbiting a lifeless planet being driven by a plastic astronaut. If that doesn't cause them to have a massive WTF moment then nothing will."

Likes strangerep, davenn and berkeman
strangerep said:
Did the roadster have its lithium batteries and electric motors? I'm guessing it's little more than a shell (lightweight plastic?)...
From what I understand, it is Elon Musk's old roadster, unmodified. In the post-launch press conference, he said something to the effect that it was much more inspiring than just lifting a block of concrete, which he said was the conventional test-flight payload. While he didn't mention anything about the battery or the motor, he did specifically say that the car was not "prepared" for space, and that he didn't know how the fabric of the seats would hold up in space.

Likes strangerep and davenn
OmCheeto said:
Apparently, we are still live:

Hmm, another 'live' view but it is different from yours.

Reddit went bananas last night with comments about the car in space. My favorite was a picture of Elon Musk with the caption, "Hey dude. Where's my car?" My second favorite was, "Elon Musk killed someone and he found the perfect way to dispose of the body without getting caught."

I was privileged. I live nearby, so I saw the launch going up and the two boosters coming down. Amazing.

It made me think of SF stories I read in the 50s about men going to the Moon and Mars and it all sounded so unlikely at the time. But none of those authors dared to suggest synchronized landings, nor did they predict that the world would watch on live TV when the first man set foot on the moon. We get disappointed when technology fails to live up to hyperbole, but other times it exceeds our wildest dreams.

Likes russ_watters, Vatsal Goyal, Frimus and 5 others
anorlunda said:
I was privileged. I live nearby, so I saw the launch going up and the two boosters coming down. Amazing.
It's on my bucket list to see a launch like that! I need a schedule! Would be great to meet up too!

Likes OmCheeto and anorlunda
Borg said:
Hmm, another 'live' view but it is different from yours.

At last count, there are over 2000 musical overdubs on youtube. (guessing!)

Emily Lakdawalla and I both heard/emotionalized "The Blue Danube".

Not sure how many people caught the Abram's-esque "lens flare" :oldeyes:, but that put another song in my head.

2001.hmm.prophets.png

Was that "Thus spoke Zarathustra"?

Attachments

• 2001.hmm.prophets.png
    2001.hmm.prophets.png
    33.2 KB · Views: 473
Likes nsaspook
I am loving this!

2018.02.07.1213.pst.trek.tesla.png

Sorry. Not sorry.

Attachments

• 2018.02.07.1213.pst.trek.tesla.png
    2018.02.07.1213.pst.trek.tesla.png
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,010
Likes anorlunda, Ratman, Borg and 1 other person
Below is a link to the orbit of Starman after the last burn.

Starman's orbit

boneh3ad said:
But... how did it get into the Delta Quadrant?
voy_the37s012.jpg

Another Alien transporter accident.
the37s.jpg

Attachments

• voy_the37s012.jpg
    voy_the37s012.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 429
  • the37s.jpg
    the37s.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 512
Likes boneh3ad
Greg Bernhardt said:
It's on my bucket list to see a launch like that! I need a schedule! Would be great to meet up too!
List of SpaceX launches
List of all launches
Caveat: It is common that launches get delayed. Sometimes the satellite is not ready yet, sometimes the rocket or the launch pad are not ready. Sometimes delays occur on very short notice, especially in Florida with its weather and with new rockets where the operation is not yet routine.
If you don’t live close, don’t book a trip more than 1-2 weeks in advance, and take into account that a launch might get delayed by a few days.

Likes Greg Bernhardt and anorlunda
Next stop?
DVdzGakX0AEsyxd.jpg

Are we there yet?

Attachments

• DVdzGakX0AEsyxd.jpg
    DVdzGakX0AEsyxd.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 410
Likes OmCheeto
@mfb Love the new avatar. :woot:

mfb.jpg

Attachments

• mfb.jpg
    mfb.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 413
Likes DrClaude
Greg Bernhardt said:
It's on my bucket list to see a launch like that!
I wonder when the BFR will have its first launch. I might have to take a vacation to Florida for that one.

Borg said:
I wonder when the BFR will have its first launch. I might have to take a vacation to Florida for that one.
In the press conference Musk indicated that first hops could happen in 2019. That will probably mean 2020-2021. It is still unclear where - the new site in Texas and drone ships are both interesting options.
Flights of the full rocket will come later.

mfb said:
Caveat: It is common that launches get delayed.

It's a terrible situation. The KSC Visistor's Center sells tickets for a close-up view of a launch for $200/person. But once the bus leaves the Visitors Center, no refunds are given even if the launch is canceled or delayed. I think that is predatory.

Too bad, I sold my boat. In the past I was able to sail my boat as close to the launch pad as anyone gets and anchor free of charge. For night launches especially, that was dramatic. I could have offered @Greg Bernhardt a front row seat for free, but alas no longer.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
mfb said:
List of all launches
Wow I had no idea there were so many launches. Seems the whole world uses the pad!

The Falcon 9 seems like a nice size rocket. Maybe I could swing a trip for March 20th to see TESS take off.

Has anyone heard what the status of the live feed is? I have heard that the batteries ran out on the Tesla and what we're seeing now is just old footage even though the feed says otherwise. Also AFAIK, there isn't a large antenna so its signal would get harder to pick up as it gets farther from us. Eventually we will lose contact but has it happened already?

Makes me wonder how people will follow this over the years. Will the first Mars missions will pass within visual distance of the Tesla someday? Will Hubble take pictures of it occasionally? I also can't imagine that someone wouldn't retrieve it in the distant future and put it in a museum.

Last edited:
Borg said:
Has anyone heard what the status of the live feed is?
I just saw a picture on the news that claims to be the "last" picture from the car.

Likes Borg
anorlunda said:
The KSC Visistor's Center sells tickets for a close-up view of a launch for $200/person. But once the bus leaves the Visitors Center, no refunds are given even if the launch is canceled or delayed. I think that is predatory.
For the FH launch, they offered free re-admittance if the launch gets shifted.
Greg Bernhardt said:
Wow I had no idea there were so many launches. Seems the whole world uses the pad!
The second link is the list of launches of the whole world.
Or did you expect Chinese rockets to launch from Florida? ;)

The car should be visible to good telescopes for quite some time, if (!) someone tracks it we get a nice orbit determination. The car should be bright enough to observe it frequently for the largest telescopes, but time for that is probably very limited.

mfb said:
The second link is the list of launches of the whole world.
Or did you expect Chinese rockets to launch from Florida? ;)
Good point, I see that now :)

Spinnor said:
"Now when alien life forms come to the solar system they'll find a red land going vehicle orbiting a lifeless planet being driven by a plastic astronaut. If that doesn't cause them to have a massive WTF moment then nothing will."

On the circuit its written, "Made on Earth by 'humans'". It's so hilarious.

Vatsal Goyal said:
On the circuit its written, "Made on Earth by 'humans'". It's so hilarious.

What a wonderful sense of humor they have.

Did you see the sign that said Don't Panic? I think it could have said "...rerouting..."

Greg Bernhardt said:
Good point, I see that now :)
Still a busy year there.
~15-20 SpaceX flights (they want to launch 30 rockets in 2018, 3 done already, a few will launch from California)
7 Atlas flights
2 Delta IV flights

Some Falcon launches have returning boosters.
For the launch of Paz on February 17 the rocket has the performance, but SpaceX has no use for that booster any more - they might use it for tests over the ocean.
The booster for TESS, March 20: Would surprise me. The satellite is light but high Earth orbit needs a high performance of the rocket.
SpaceX CRS-14 (ISS resupply), April 2: That one will probably come back. It has flown before already, and it is a good candidate for a third flight.
SpaceX CRS-15, June 9: The booster will come back.
SpX-DM1 (Crew Dragon demo mission, without crew), not before August: The booster will come back.
SpaceX CRS-16, November 16: The booster will come back.
SpX-DM2 (Crew Dragon with Crew), likely to get shifted to 2019: The booster will come back.

All other launches won't have the booster return to launch site, or don't have a scheduled launch date yet.
There might be two Falcon Heavy flights this year, in both cases it is likely that both side boosters return.

Likes Stavros Kiri
mfb said:
There might be two Falcon Heavy flights this year, in both cases it is likely that both side boosters return.
I'll be gunning for one of these!

From the SpaceX http://www.spacex.com/about/capabilities page:

SpaceX_FalconCosts.jpg

I've always wondered what I would do if I hit the lottery for a lot of money. I could launch my own mission to Mars. :woot:

Attachments

• SpaceX_FalconCosts.jpg
    SpaceX_FalconCosts.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 705
mfb said:
The car should be visible to good telescopes for quite some time, if (!) someone tracks it we get a nice orbit determination. The car should be bright enough to observe it frequently for the largest telescopes, but time for that is probably very limited.

I found this on Twitter @ #FalconHeavy:

https://twitter.com/vacant3rdman/status/961633262207565824

2018.02.08.starman.amongst.the.stars.png

Image credit: Anthony Horton, Sydney, Australia
Also found this, via Anthony: https://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/horizons.cgi

2018.02.08.jps.horizons.starman.png

Unfortunately, so far; "This trajectory is a ballistic propagation derived from a post-injection state provided by SpaceX on 2018-Feb-7, and is based on internal GPS data."

So the "Ephemeris" data, whatever that means, is no better than what we already have. [?]

ps. Thank you, @tony873004 for wasting several more hours of my time last night, playing with your gosh darned simulator!

2018.02.08.starman.crosses.mars.orbit.in.May.png

Yesterdays simulator's prediction [ref]

2018.02.08.doh.update.starman.crosses.mars.orbit.in.July.4th.ish.png

Todays simulator's prediction [ref]

Attachments

• 2018.02.08.starman.amongst.the.stars.png
    2018.02.08.starman.amongst.the.stars.png
    121.1 KB · Views: 659
  • 2018.02.08.jps.horizons.starman.png
    2018.02.08.jps.horizons.starman.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 660
  • 2018.02.08.starman.crosses.mars.orbit.in.May.png
    2018.02.08.starman.crosses.mars.orbit.in.May.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 626
  • 2018.02.08.doh.update.starman.crosses.mars.orbit.in.July.4th.ish.png
    2018.02.08.doh.update.starman.crosses.mars.orbit.in.July.4th.ish.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 659
Likes Vatsal Goyal, Borg and Greg Bernhardt
mfb said:
Its payload, up to 63,800 kg, is more than twice the payload of the most powerful rocket in operation, the Delta IV Heavy
Double the payload and a quarter the cost of Delta IV ($400M Delta IV per wiki vs $90M FH per Musk).

The return and safe landing of the side boosters was fascinating. This video shows how fast they're coming down before the rockets fire. Best if you use full screen with headphones.

Likes Ratman, Spinnor, Borg and 1 other person
mheslep said:
Double the payload and a quarter the cost of Delta IV ($400M Delta IV per wiki vs $90M FH per Musk).
$90M is the price for the reusable configuration, the same way the maiden flight launched. For that, the payload is expected to be somewhere between 30 and 40 tonnes. Falcon Heavy can launch 63 tonnes to LEO, but then it has to fly expendable and SpaceX will charge more.

Likes mheslep
TurtleMeister said:
The return and safe landing of the side boosters was fascinating. This video shows how fast they're coming down before the rockets fire. Best if you use full screen with headphones.

Fun video. Unfortunate that the narrator has a kindergarten education in sonic booms, but whatever. Maybe we can edit out his commentary? o0)

Last edited:
berkeman said:
Fun video. Unfortunate that the narrator has a kindergarten education in sonic booms, but whatever. Maybe we can edit out his commentary? o0)
Technically each booster produces three sonic booms, but two are so close together that you don't properly hear that. What is the issue?

<h2>1. What are SpaceX's plans for 2018 in terms of space exploration?</h2><p>In 2018, SpaceX plans to continue launching its Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy rockets, as well as developing its next generation rocket, the BFR. They also have plans to launch their first crewed mission to the International Space Station and potentially send a cargo mission to Mars.</p><h2>2. How will SpaceX push the limits of space and physics in 2018?</h2><p>SpaceX will push the limits of space and physics in 2018 by launching more powerful rockets, conducting more advanced missions, and potentially making progress towards their goal of colonizing Mars. They will also continue to test and improve upon their reusable rocket technology, which has already revolutionized the space industry.</p><h2>3. What advancements in rocket technology can we expect from SpaceX in 2018?</h2><p>In 2018, SpaceX plans to continue testing and perfecting their reusable rocket technology, which allows for more cost-effective and sustainable space travel. They also have plans to develop the BFR, a massive rocket capable of carrying humans to Mars and potentially beyond.</p><h2>4. Will SpaceX continue to collaborate with other organizations in 2018?</h2><p>Yes, SpaceX will continue to collaborate with other organizations in 2018. They have partnerships with NASA and other private companies, and also work closely with government agencies to obtain necessary permits and approvals for their missions.</p><h2>5. How will SpaceX's advancements in space exploration benefit society in 2018 and beyond?</h2><p>SpaceX's advancements in space exploration have the potential to benefit society in numerous ways. They can lead to new technologies, scientific discoveries, and potentially even the colonization of other planets. Additionally, SpaceX's efforts to make space travel more affordable and sustainable could open up opportunities for commercial space ventures and expand our understanding of the universe.</p>

1. What are SpaceX's plans for 2018 in terms of space exploration?

In 2018, SpaceX plans to continue launching its Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy rockets, as well as developing its next generation rocket, the BFR. They also have plans to launch their first crewed mission to the International Space Station and potentially send a cargo mission to Mars.

2. How will SpaceX push the limits of space and physics in 2018?

SpaceX will push the limits of space and physics in 2018 by launching more powerful rockets, conducting more advanced missions, and potentially making progress towards their goal of colonizing Mars. They will also continue to test and improve upon their reusable rocket technology, which has already revolutionized the space industry.

3. What advancements in rocket technology can we expect from SpaceX in 2018?

In 2018, SpaceX plans to continue testing and perfecting their reusable rocket technology, which allows for more cost-effective and sustainable space travel. They also have plans to develop the BFR, a massive rocket capable of carrying humans to Mars and potentially beyond.

4. Will SpaceX continue to collaborate with other organizations in 2018?

Yes, SpaceX will continue to collaborate with other organizations in 2018. They have partnerships with NASA and other private companies, and also work closely with government agencies to obtain necessary permits and approvals for their missions.

5. How will SpaceX's advancements in space exploration benefit society in 2018 and beyond?

SpaceX's advancements in space exploration have the potential to benefit society in numerous ways. They can lead to new technologies, scientific discoveries, and potentially even the colonization of other planets. Additionally, SpaceX's efforts to make space travel more affordable and sustainable could open up opportunities for commercial space ventures and expand our understanding of the universe.