1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spacing between slits in a diffraction grating w/o known wavelength

1. Mar 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have an issue for a question I have. The problem is that I need to find the distance between the slits of a diffraction grating. Normally this would be pretty simple, but I'm not given the wavelength of the light source we're supposed to use to find it out.

2. Relevant equations

I know X~m(lambda)L / d and X = Ltan(theta) but this is difficult to figure out without the wavelength. I also know that dsin(theta) = m(lambda) but if I substitute that into the inital equation it eliminates d altogether.

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that if given the wavelength I could easily find d by using the initial equation and several simple measurments. I could also use the more accurate Ltan(theta) and measure the angle from the normal to the first maxima. I could set it up by setting the grating a certain distance from a blank wall and shine the light source through it, but without the wavelength I end up with two unknowns so I'm pretty much stuck.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Illuminate the slit with white light. You know the limit wavelengths of the visible range.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook