Spatial Frequencies of the Fourier Transform

In summary, the Fourier Transform is a mathematical tool that converts a function in space into a function in frequency. The function is represented as F(p, q) in the frequency domain, where p and q are the spatial frequencies. The function can be easily transformed using an algorithm in numerical simulations. The frequency resolution in the frequency domain can be calculated using the number of points and the interval between adjacent points in the space domain. The Nyquist frequency determines the boundaries of the frequency domain. In this context, a spatial frequency is commonly referred to as a wavenumber, which is defined as 2π/λ in radians per length or 1/λ in cycles per length.
ecastro
The Fourier Transform transforms a function of space into a function of frequency. Considering a function ##f\left(x, y\right)##, the Fourier Transform of such a function is ##\mathcal{F}\left\{f\left(x, y\right)\right\} = F\left(p, q\right)##, where ##p## and ##q## are the spatial frequencies.

In numerical simulations, the function ##f## can easily be transformed by using an algorithm (built-in in the software). However, I am concerned on acquiring the spatial frequencies ##p## and ##q##. Is there a way to do it?

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the function in space domain is sampled ##N## times with sampling interval ##\Delta x##, then the frequency resolution in the frequency domain is given by ##2\pi/N\Delta x##.

blue_leaf77 said:
If the function in space domain is sampled ##N## times with sampling interval ##\Delta x##, then the frequency resolution in the frequency domain is given by ##2\pi/N\Delta x##.
I don't know if I got this right. Is the value of ##N## the number of points, ##\Delta x## is the interval between two adjacent points, and the interval between two points in the frequency domain is ##\frac{2 \pi}{N \Delta x}##?

ecastro said:
I don't know if I got this right. Is the value of ##N## the number of points, ##\Delta x## is the interval between two adjacent points, and the interval between two points in the frequency domain is ##\frac{2 \pi}{N \Delta x}##?
Yes, exactly.

Likes ecastro
Thank you.

I have another question, how will I know the boundaries (maximum and minimum values) of the frequency domain?

I'll also throw in that a "spatial frequency" is more commonly called a "wavenumber".

boneh3ad said:
I'll also throw in that a "spatial frequency" is more commonly called a "wavenumber".

The wavenumber of what? What is ##\lambda## in this case?

ecastro said:
The wavenumber of what? What is ##\lambda## in this case?
The wavenumber of "whatever the spatial frequency belongs to."

The usual way of defining the wavenumber is exactly analogous that for frequency:
##k = 2\pi/\lambda## in radians per length, or ##\nu = 1/\lambda## if the units are cycles per length.

1. What is the Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform is a mathematical operation used to decompose a function into its constituent frequencies. It is commonly used in signal processing, image processing, and other areas of science and engineering.

2. What are spatial frequencies?

Spatial frequencies refer to the frequencies of patterns in the spatial domain, such as in an image. These frequencies are represented by the number of cycles per unit distance (e.g. cycles per inch or cycles per degree).

3. How is the Fourier Transform used in image processing?

The Fourier Transform is used in image processing to analyze the spatial frequencies present in an image. This can help identify patterns, edges, and other features in the image, and can also be used for image compression and noise reduction.

4. What is the relationship between spatial frequencies and image sharpness?

Higher spatial frequencies correspond to finer details in an image, while lower spatial frequencies correspond to larger, more general features. In terms of image sharpness, a higher concentration of high spatial frequencies can result in a sharper image, while a lack of high spatial frequencies can result in a blurred image.

5. How is the Fourier Transform used in astronomy?

In astronomy, the Fourier Transform is used to analyze the spatial frequencies present in astronomical images. This can help identify structures, such as galaxies and stars, and can also be used for image enhancement and noise reduction.