Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spatial Frequencies of the Fourier Transform

1. Jul 16, 2015 #1
    The Fourier Transform transforms a function of space into a function of frequency. Considering a function ##f\left(x, y\right)##, the Fourier Transform of such a function is ##\mathcal{F}\left\{f\left(x, y\right)\right\} = F\left(p, q\right)##, where ##p## and ##q## are the spatial frequencies.

In numerical simulations, the function ##f## can easily be transformed by using an algorithm (built-in in the software). However, I am concerned on acquiring the spatial frequencies ##p## and ##q##. Is there a way to do it?

Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2015 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the function in space domain is sampled ##N## times with sampling interval ##\Delta x##, then the frequency resolution in the frequency domain is given by ##2\pi/N\Delta x##.

4. Jul 16, 2015 #3
    I don't know if I got this right. Is the value of ##N## the number of points, ##\Delta x## is the interval between two adjacent points, and the interval between two points in the frequency domain is ##\frac{2 \pi}{N \Delta x}##?

5. Jul 16, 2015 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, exactly.

6. Jul 16, 2015 #5
    Thank you.

I have another question, how will I know the boundaries (maximum and minimum values) of the frequency domain?

7. Jul 16, 2015 #6

Dale

Staff: Mentor

8. Jul 16, 2015 #7

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'll also throw in that a "spatial frequency" is more commonly called a "wavenumber".

9. Jul 19, 2015 #8
    The wavenumber of what? What is ##\lambda## in this case?

10. Jul 19, 2015 #9

olivermsun

Science Advisor

The wavenumber of "whatever the spatial frequency belongs to."

The usual way of defining the wavenumber is exactly analogous that for frequency:
    ##k = 2\pi/\lambda## in radians per length, or ##\nu = 1/\lambda## if the units are cycles per length.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook