Special case of energy value for a particle in a non zero potential region

In summary, the conversation discusses the Schrödinger's equation for a one-dimensional potential and the corresponding solutions for different values of energy. In the case where the potential is infinite at certain points, the allowed energy solutions are quantized. The conversation also addresses the issue of normalizability and the physical implications of certain solutions. Ultimately, the conversation concludes that for a bounded particle, the allowed energy solutions are quantized and [tex] E=V_0 [\tex] is not one of them.
fluidistic
Gold Member
If one consider a 1 dimensional potential of the form [tex]V(x)=0[/tex] for [tex]x<0[/tex] and [tex]V(x)=V_0[/tex] for [tex]x \geq 0[/tex].
The corresponding Schrödinger's equation for the region greater than 0, is [tex]\Psi '' (x)+ \Psi (x) \frac{(E-V_0)2m}{\hbar ^2}=0[/tex].
Now if [tex]E=V_0[/tex], the solution to this equation is a straight line [tex]\Psi (x)=ax+b[/tex]. However since the region is infinitely large, there is no values for a and b other than 0 that will normalize [tex]\Psi[/tex], hence we must conclude that [tex]\Psi (x)=0[/tex] in this region.
Fine, that mean for [tex]E=V_0[/tex], there is a total reflection of a particle coming from the left (from negative x).
However if [tex]E\neq V_0[/tex] (for both [tex]E<V_0[/tex] and [tex]E>v_0[/tex]), there's no total reflection, quite strange. I'm trying to understand the physical meaning of that. It's like there's a well definite energy that isn't allowed for a particle to pass the potential.

If we now consider a region [tex]V(x)=\infty[/tex] for [tex]x<0[/tex], [tex]V(x)=V_0[/tex] for [tex]0 \leq x \leq a[/tex] and [tex]V(x)=\infty[/tex] for [tex]x>a[/tex], and if [tex]E=V_0[/tex], then I think there's an infinity of possible solutions. I mean there are an infinite number of constants A and B such that [tex]\int_0 ^a |Ax+B|^2 dx =1[/tex]. I don't think it's possible physically, so what's going on?
By the way I get the condition [tex]\frac{A^2 a^3}{3}+ a^2|AB| + B^2 a =1[/tex].

And also in the case of having a region of potential of the form [tex]V(x)=0[/tex] for [tex]x<0[/tex], [tex]V(x)=V_0[/tex] for [tex]0 \leq x \leq a[/tex] and [tex]V(x)=0[/tex] for [tex]x>a[/tex], the same problem appears in the central region. It seems like the particle can have infinitely many different [tex]\Psi (x)[/tex] which doesn't make sense to me.

What's happening?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your problem is that you are not treating the case of a free particle correctly.

I'm just learning tex and by browser seems to have a bug when giving me the preview so please excuse me.

Consider a free particle where [tex]V(x)=0[\tex]. The solutions will be a basis consisting of sines and cosines at every frequency (your linear solution is actually a special case where [tex]f=0 so \lambda=\inf[\tex]). Sine is not normalizable however it is still useful because it forms a basis that using Fourier (adding together a combination of sine functions) can create arbitrary wave packets. The same thing applies when [tex] V(x)=V_0[\tex].

For the case with in infinite bounding potentials you have given the problem of a particle in a box which is well documented. Given that this is quantum mechanics it should not be a surprise that for a bounded particle like this the allowed energy of solutions is quantized. [tex] E=V_0 [\tex] is not one of the allowed solutions.

Thanks for all!
Joseph14 said:
For the case with in infinite bounding potentials you have given the problem of a particle in a box which is well documented. Given that this is quantum mechanics it should not be a surprise that for a bounded particle like this the allowed energy of solutions is quantized. [tex] E=V_0 [\tex] is not one of the allowed solutions.

Oh nice, I totally missed that part.
Problem solved.

What is the special case of energy value for a particle in a non zero potential region?

The special case of energy value for a particle in a non zero potential region refers to the situation where the energy of a particle is equal to the potential energy in a specific region. This occurs when the particle's kinetic energy is zero and it is at rest in the region.

How is the special case of energy value for a particle in a non zero potential region different from the general case?

The general case refers to the situation where the energy of a particle is not equal to the potential energy in a specific region. This occurs when the particle has non-zero kinetic energy and is in motion in the region. In the special case, the particle is at rest and its energy is solely determined by the potential energy of the region.

What is the significance of the special case of energy value for a particle in a non zero potential region?

The special case is significant because it allows us to understand the behavior of particles in a specific region where their energy is determined solely by the potential energy. This can help us make predictions about the motion and stability of particles in this region.

How does the special case of energy value for a particle in a non zero potential region relate to quantum mechanics?

The special case is closely related to quantum mechanics because it involves the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. In quantum mechanics, the energy of a particle is quantized, meaning it can only take on certain discrete values. The special case is an example of this quantization of energy.

Can the special case of energy value for a particle in a non zero potential region be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, the special case has real-world applications in various fields such as quantum mechanics, nuclear physics, and solid-state physics. These principles are used in technologies such as transistors, lasers, and nuclear reactors. Understanding the special case can also help in the development of new materials and technologies.