Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special Relativity and Black Holes

1. Sep 26, 2010 #1
    Hello Forum,

This is my first post :)

Einstein's special relativity finds that length is contracted if the observer is moving at high speeds. Now, assume there is a mass at rest in space that is below critical density of a black hole. If an observer were traveling at high speeds past this mass, the object will contract; therefore, placing the object above critical density. Are the existence of black holes relativistic?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2010 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes. In GR, mass, or density, alone does not generate gravity. Gravity is generated by the stress-energy tensor, which is a fully relativistic object. The density is a component of the stress-energy tensor, but its only one component. So while the density term does increase, other terms appear and the net result is that you don't wind up with a black hole.

It may (or may not) be interesting to note that the energy density at a point (T_00 of the stress-energy tensor) increases by a factor of gamma^2 due to a "boost" (a relativistic velocity transformation), because the stress-energy tensor measure energy, and not only do you have a smaller volume after the boost, but the smaller volume contains more energy due to the motion of the particles contained within. Here gamma is 1/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2), the usual relativistic term.
  4. Sep 26, 2010 #3
    Thanks Pervect. Looks like I got some reading to do on GR. I'm really enjoying this forum website :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook