Special Relativity Forces and Energy

In summary, the conversation is about deriving the energy equation for motion under a pure inverse square law force. The attempt at a solution involves integrating the force equation and considering the particle's energy. However, there is some confusion regarding the use of the variable "E". Ultimately, the solution is found by considering the gradient of the particle's energy and accounting for the chain rule.
jeffbarrington

Homework Statement

Hi, I have this problem:

For motion under a pure (rest mass preserving) inverse square law force f = −αr/r3 , where α is a constant, derive the energy equation γmc2 − α/r = constant.

Homework Equations

E = γmc2
dE/dt = f.u for a pure force

The Attempt at a Solution

I start by saying:

dE/dt = f.u = f.dr/dt

Next, I know f is independent of time, so I can just integrate this to get:

E = f.r +constant

So then you get:

γmc2 = -α/r + constant

Which is painfully close to the result I'm meant to get but out by a minus sign. I don't know if I've made an error here or if the question is erroneous.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like there's some symbol-related confusion here.
You have 2 different variables both named "E".

DuckAmuck said:
Looks like there's some symbol-related confusion here.
You have 2 different variables both named "E".
Really? I don't understand how that's the case, they're both the particle's energy.

edit - I actually get something viable by considering dE/dt = grad(E) dot dr/dt, since r is a function of time and I forgot to chain rule it.

Last edited:

What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that describes how objects behave when they move at speeds close to the speed of light. It explains that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, regardless of their relative velocity.

What is the relationship between forces and energy in special relativity?

In special relativity, forces and energy are closely related through the famous equation E=mc², where E is energy, m is mass, and c is the speed of light. This equation shows that mass and energy are interchangeable, and that a small amount of mass can be converted into a large amount of energy.

How does special relativity affect our understanding of time and space?

Special relativity introduces the concept of time dilation, which means that time passes at different rates for observers in different reference frames. It also explains the phenomenon of length contraction, where objects in motion appear shorter in the direction of motion. These effects become more significant as objects approach the speed of light.

What are some practical applications of special relativity?

Some practical applications of special relativity include GPS systems, where the accuracy of time measurements is crucial for determining location. Special relativity is also used in particle accelerators to accelerate particles to high speeds, and in nuclear power plants to understand the conversion of mass into energy.

How does special relativity differ from Newtonian mechanics?

Special relativity differs from Newtonian mechanics in several ways. It takes into account the effects of high speeds and observes the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. It also introduces the concept of spacetime, where time and space are not separate entities but are intertwined. In contrast, Newtonian mechanics assumes that time and space are absolute and independent of each other.