Calculating Relative Velocity and Length Contraction in Special Relativity

In summary: No, the result is v=(0.84/c) which is the speed of Racer A in the spectators frame of reference.In summary, Racer A has a speed of 0.84c in the spectators frame of reference.
jlmccart03

Homework Statement

The problem states: Racer A and Racer B have the same care length, but from a spectators view Racer A looks (1/2) that of Racer B. Also Racer B is traveling at a speed v = (c/2). I am to find the spedd of Racer A in the spectators frame of reference.

Homework Equations

Length contraction Δx = (Δx0/ϒ)

The Attempt at a Solution

So what I did was simply realize that the length of the car stays the same in both the z and y directions, but changes in the x direction. This means that I don't have to worry about the z and y direction lengths as they are equal and cancel. From there I took the length contraction equation and got ΔxA = (ΔxB/2). The jist of that equation comes from the fact that x*y*z = ((x/2)*y*z) and everything but the x's cancel. That resulting answer looks like the length contraction eqaution. From there I just solved for v from the fact that ϒ=√(1-(v^2/c^2)). My final answer is v=(√3/4)c.

Now where I am confused is the fact that I never used the information of the c/2 for racer B. Was that unnecessary information given or did I do something wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jlmccart03 said:

Homework Statement

The problem states: Racer A and Racer B have the same care length, but from a spectators view Racer A looks (1/2) that of Racer B. Also Racer B is traveling at a speed v = (2/c). I am to find the spedd of Racer A in the spectators frame of reference.
Is that an accurate statement of the problem? A velocity of ##\frac{2}{c}## does not make sense. No velocity makes any sense unless a frame of reference is specified.

jbriggs444 said:
Is that an accurate statement of the problem? A velocity of ##\frac{2}{c}## does not make sense. No velocity makes any sense unless a frame of reference is specified.
Sorry, edited it should be (c/2) not (2/c).

jlmccart03 said:
Also Racer B is traveling at a speed v = (2/c)
Check the units. 2/c is not a speed, it is the inverse of a speed

EDIT: OK, I see you caught that.

phinds said:
Check the units. 2/c is not a speed, it is the inverse of a speed

EDIT: OK, I see you caught that.
Yeah, I typed it up wrong. It should be c/2.

jlmccart03 said:

Homework Statement

The problem states: Racer A and Racer B have the same care length, but from a spectators view Racer A looks (1/2) that of Racer B. Also Racer B is traveling at a speed v = (c/2). I am to find the spedd of Racer A in the spectators frame of reference.

Homework Equations

Length contraction Δx = (Δx0/ϒ)

The Attempt at a Solution

So what I did was simply realize that the length of the car stays the same in both the z and y directions, but changes in the x direction. This means that I don't have to worry about the z and y direction lengths as they are equal and cancel. From there I took the length contraction equation and got ΔxA = (ΔxB/2). The jist of that equation comes from the fact that x*y*z = ((x/2)*y*z) and everything but the x's cancel. That resulting answer looks like the length contraction eqaution. From there I just solved for v from the fact that ϒ=√(1-(v^2/c^2)). My final answer is v=(√3/4)c.

Now where I am confused is the fact that I never used the information of the c/2 for racer B. Was that unnecessary information given or did I do something wrong?
Yes you are right, though racer B is traveling and A is stationary. But for B it's stationary itsself but A is traveling and no need to use the speed given as due to speed , length is contracted

Praveen mahajan said:
Yes you are right, though racer B is traveling and A is stationary. But for B it's stationary itsself but A is traveling and no need to use the speed given as due to speed , length is contracted
Wait, now I am even more confused. So the problem asks for the speed of Racer A from the spectators view. A and B are both racing each other, but from the spectators viewpoint A is half the length of B. B is traveling at half the speed of light. Since we are focused on the racer A and not B then we don't have to worry about the speed v = c/2? I'm sorry, I am just really lost on how to look at these frames and whatnot.

I hope if both are moving and in the same direction, then the concept of relative velocity is also need to adopt
Which is given as (v1-v2)/(1-v1v2/c^2)

Praveen mahajan said:
I hope if both are moving and in the same direction, then the concept of relative velocity is also need to adopt
Which is given as (v1-v2)/(1-v1v2/c^2)
So I have to take my 0.84c value and subtract it from the c/2 value? Or is that prior to finding my speed value of car A?

EDIT: According to your previous statement I took the values of v1=√(3/4)c and v2 = c/2. Using that equation I got a totale v = 0.64c. Would that sound correct?

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Relative Velocity and Length Contraction in Special Relativity

What is length contraction?

Length contraction is a phenomenon in which the length of an object appears shorter when it is in motion relative to an observer. This is a consequence of the theory of relativity and is only noticeable when objects are traveling at significant fractions of the speed of light.

Why does length contraction occur?

Length contraction occurs because the speed of light is constant for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This means that as an object's velocity increases, the time it takes for light to travel from one end of the object to the other decreases, resulting in a shorter perceived length.

How is length contraction measured?

Length contraction can be measured using the Lorentz transformation, which is a mathematical formula that relates the measurements of an object in different reference frames. It takes into account the object's velocity and the observer's perspective to calculate the contracted length.

What are some real-life examples of length contraction?

One example of length contraction is the observed difference in the length of a moving train when viewed from the perspective of a stationary observer versus a passenger on the train. Another example is the contraction of the length of a particle accelerator as particles are accelerated to high speeds.

Does length contraction affect all objects equally?

No, length contraction only affects objects that are moving at significant fractions of the speed of light. Objects that are not moving at high speeds will not experience any noticeable contraction. Additionally, the amount of contraction is dependent on an object's velocity and the observer's perspective.