Special relativity — Observer measuring the velocity of a passing rocket

In summary, equation 2.51 shows that ##-\gamma## is equal to the inner product of two four vectors, which can be expressed in a covariant form and is useful for generalizing to different coordinate systems and curved spacetime. The Euclidean version of this equation is also helpful in understanding the concept of rapidities.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
There is a print just below
Relevant Equations
\n
1605347546126.png

I am a little confused with the text above. Actually, all is ok until 2.51, i think i am missing something.
What is this? Another way to define gamma? (The doubt is not about the raising indices, neither about "n00 = -1", is just where does the equation came from. That is, the equation is easy to understand, but i don't know from where this come from)

Physics news on Phys.org
Herculi said:
Homework Statement:: There is a print just below
Relevant Equations:: \n

View attachment 272605
I am a little confused with the text above. Actually, all is ok until 2.51, i think i am missing something.
What is this? Another way to define gamma? (The doubt is not about the raising indices, neither about "n00 = -1", is just where does the equation came from. That is, the equation is easy to understand, but i don't know from where this come from)
Equation 2.51 is simply highlighting that ##-\gamma## equals the inner product of the two four vectors. It's easy to work out.

By noticing this you have ##\gamma## (and hence ##v##) expressed in a manifestly covariant form. As the inner product is independent of coordinates, this is useful for generalising toall coordinate systems and to curved spacetime.

It might be helpful to consider the Euclidean version of (2.51).
[itex] \gamma_{euc}=\hat U \cdot \hat V =\cos\theta_{\scriptsize{\rm between\ U\ and\ V}}
=\displaystyle\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+\tan^2\theta_{rel}}}
=\displaystyle\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+m_{rel}^2}}
[/itex]

(2.51) interpreted with rapidities (and the [itex] (-,+,+,+) [/itex] signature)
[itex] \gamma=-\hat U \cdot \hat V =\cosh\phi_{rel}
=\displaystyle\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\tanh^2\phi_{rel}}}
=\displaystyle\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-v_{rel}^2}}
[/itex]

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains the relationship between space and time. It describes how the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion and how the speed of light is constant for all observers.

2. How does special relativity apply to measuring the velocity of a passing rocket?

In special relativity, the velocity of an object is relative to the observer. This means that different observers will measure different velocities for the same object depending on their relative motion. Therefore, the velocity of a passing rocket will be measured differently by different observers depending on their relative motion to the rocket.

3. What is the role of the observer in special relativity?

The observer plays a crucial role in special relativity as the measurements and observations made by the observer determine the relative motion and velocity of objects. Special relativity states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the observer's frame of reference is essential in determining these laws.

4. How does the concept of time dilation apply to special relativity?

Time dilation is a key concept in special relativity, which states that time is not absolute and can be dilated or contracted depending on the relative motion of the observer and the observed object. This means that time can appear to pass at different rates for different observers, and it is relative to the observer's frame of reference.

5. Can special relativity be applied to everyday situations?

Yes, special relativity has been proven to be accurate in many everyday situations, such as GPS systems, satellite communication, and high-speed transportation. The effects of special relativity may not be noticeable in everyday life, but they are essential for precise measurements and technologies that rely on accurate timekeeping and navigation.