1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special Relativity- Photon/Mirror Collision

1. Jun 22, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A photon of frequency ν is reflected without change of frequency from a mirror, with an angle of incidence θ. Calculate the momentum transferred to the mirror.

2. Relevant equations
    E= hν
    Conservation of four-momentum

3. The attempt at a solution
    If the mirror is in the x-y plane, the incident photon will have initial 4-momentum
    Pγ = (hν , hνsinθ , 0 , -hνcosθ) as the sum of the squares of the spatial momenta must be equal to the square of the time coordinate momentum.
    The initial 4-momentum of the mirror:
    Pm = (m , 0 , 0 , 0) as it is initially at rest in the chosen frame of reference and m is the mass of the mirror.

After the collision:
    Pγ' = ( hν , hνsinθ, 0 , hνcosθ)
    Pm' = (E , p)

Applying conservation law:
    Pm + Pγ = Pγ' + Pm'
    (Pm')^2 = (Pm)^2 + (Pγ)^2 + (Pγ')^2 + 2Pm (Pγ-Pγ') - 2Pγ⋅Pγ'
    -E^2 + p^2 = -m^2 + 0 + 0 +2⋅0 -2{ -(hν)^2 + (hνsinθ)^2 - (hνcosθ)^2} (p^2 is the square of the norm of the spatial momenta components)
    -E^2 + p^2 = -m^2 + 4(hνcosθ)^2

This is where I don't get what to do. I know that E^2 = m^2 + p^2 but if I substitute that in, the momentum term disappears and I'm left with 4(hνcosθ)^2 = 0.

I also know I get the right answer if E=m, then p= 2hνcosθ , but I don't see how I am able to say that. Is it because the mirror is not a particle in its own right, but rather a system? Or does I have to change to a different reference frame where the mirror will be stationary relative to it?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2016 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You do not need to know the mirror's mass or original 4-momentum. You also do not need to square any 4-momentum. All you need to do is to apply conservation of momentum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted