Special relativity problem (conceptual)

Homework Statement

A spaceship is travels in a straight line (to the left) past a space station that is at rest. the spaceship is speeding up relative to the space station. inside the ship, there is a block attached to the end of a light spring. the spring is extended by a fixed amount, as indicated by the spring scale mounted at its center.

picture of block/spring:

|----scale----[] block
wall

<-----------
ship moving in this direction

An observer is standing at rest on the space station. what is the direction of acceleration of the block in the observer;s reference frame?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

At first i thought that maybe the acceleration would be to the left since the spring would appear contracted but then I wasnt sure because it says that the ships velocity is increasing relative to the observer so then I thought maybe it would be to the right?? Im clueless. Any hint would be much appreciated.

Answers and Replies

Matterwave
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Special relativity works only in inertial reference frames as far as I know. I think when there is acceleration, you need to apply General Relativity...but maybe this question doesn't require it...

ok.

what if there is someone on the spaceship. will they see the same thing as the first observer or will it not appear like its accelerating?