Special relativity problem (conceptual)

In summary, a spaceship traveling in a straight line to the left past a stationary space station has a block attached to a light spring inside. The spring is extended by a fixed amount, indicating a change in velocity for the spaceship. An observer at rest on the space station may initially think the block's acceleration is to the left due to the contracted spring, but since the spaceship's velocity is increasing, the block's acceleration in the observer's reference frame is actually to the right. It is important to note that special relativity only applies in inertial reference frames and that there may be different observations from someone on the spaceship.
FuzzyDunlop

Homework Statement

A spaceship is travels in a straight line (to the left) past a space station that is at rest. the spaceship is speeding up relative to the space station. inside the ship, there is a block attached to the end of a light spring. the spring is extended by a fixed amount, as indicated by the spring scale mounted at its center.

picture of block/spring:|----scale----[] block
wall

<-----------
ship moving in this directionAn observer is standing at rest on the space station. what is the direction of acceleration of the block in the observer;s reference frame?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

At first i thought that maybe the acceleration would be to the left since the spring would appear contracted but then I wasnt sure because it says that the ships velocity is increasing relative to the observer so then I thought maybe it would be to the right?? I am clueless. Any hint would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Special relativity works only in inertial reference frames as far as I know. I think when there is acceleration, you need to apply General Relativity...but maybe this question doesn't require it...

ok.

what if there is someone on the spaceship. will they see the same thing as the first observer or will it not appear like its accelerating?

What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein in which he proposed that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, regardless of their relative velocity. It also states that the speed of light is constant and is the maximum speed at which all energy, matter, and information in the universe can travel.

What is the difference between special relativity and general relativity?

The main difference between special relativity and general relativity is that special relativity deals with the laws of physics in inertial reference frames, while general relativity deals with the laws of physics in any reference frame, including accelerated frames. General relativity also includes the effects of gravity, whereas special relativity does not.

What is the twin paradox in special relativity?

The twin paradox is a thought experiment that demonstrates the effects of time dilation in special relativity. It involves one twin staying on Earth while the other twin travels at high speeds near the speed of light. When the traveling twin returns, they will have experienced less time than the twin who stayed on Earth, resulting in one twin aging slower than the other.

Can special relativity be applied to everyday situations?

Yes, special relativity has been confirmed through countless experiments and is used in many modern technologies, such as GPS systems and particle accelerators. It also has important implications for our understanding of space and time.

What are some common misconceptions about special relativity?

Some common misconceptions about special relativity include the belief that it only applies to objects moving at near the speed of light, that it contradicts the laws of classical mechanics, and that it is only a theoretical concept with no practical applications. However, these are all incorrect assumptions, and special relativity has been extensively tested and proven to accurately describe the behavior of objects in motion.