1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special relativity problem (conceptual)

1. Apr 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A spaceship is travels in a straight line (to the left) past a space station that is at rest. the spaceship is speeding up relative to the space station. inside the ship, there is a block attached to the end of a light spring. the spring is extended by a fixed amount, as indicated by the spring scale mounted at its center.

picture of block/spring:

|----scale----[] block
    wall

<-----------
    ship moving in this direction

An observer is standing at rest on the space station. what is the direction of acceleration of the block in the observer;s reference frame?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

At first i thought that maybe the acceleration would be to the left since the spring would appear contracted but then I wasnt sure because it says that the ships velocity is increasing relative to the observer so then I thought maybe it would be to the right?? Im clueless. Any hint would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2009 #2

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Special relativity works only in inertial reference frames as far as I know. I think when there is acceleration, you need to apply General Relativity...but maybe this question doesn't require it...

4. Apr 16, 2009 #3
    ok.

what if there is someone on the spaceship. will they see the same thing as the first observer or will it not appear like its accelerating?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook