Special Relativity Question

In summary, the problem involves finding the total energy of a particle with a rest energy of 1672MeV and a lifetime of 8.2x10^-11 s, which creates a .024m long track in a lab detector. The Total Energy equation is used, along with the concepts of time dilation and length contraction, to solve for the velocity of the particle. By constructing equations from the physics involved, the solution can be found rather than trying to manipulate equations.
bmb2009

Homework Statement

A particle has a rest energy of 1672MeV and a lifetime of 8.2x10^-11 s. It creates a .024m long track in a lab detector. What is the total energy of the particle

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Total Energy = mc^2 + mc^2(1 - A) where A is defined as the Gamma Factor...basically i need to calculate the velocity of the particle and I realize that the lifetime give is the proper time (life of the particle in its frame) and the distance is in the lab frame. So I need to distance/time and I want to convert the proper time to the time interval in the lab frame but how do i do time dilation without the velocity? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll have to find a bunch of relations that have to hold simultaniously - so that you can cancel out v.

soo...what relations? I'm still stuck

1. total energy
2. time dilation
3. length contraction (related to 2)
4. relationship between distance and time in one reference frame

got it..thanks

No worries :)

Ugh nevermind lol I don't have it... and it's driving me crazy.

V= L/T = L'/T' and I know L and T'.

Time dilation says T=T'sqrt(1-A^2) where A is V/c

so i plug in V=L/(T'sqrt(1-A^2)) and solve for V but I get (V^2)(T')^2 - ((V^4)(T')^2)/c^2 = c^2

ahhhhhh

[edit] didn't read all the way ...

Well done.
Sometimes explaining why you have a problem produces the solution.

The particle travels distance L in the lab, in the particle's proper time T, then ##L=v\gamma T##
Since the total energy is ##E=\gamma E_0## I have two equations and two unknowns.

When I saw your problem, actually did it via length contraction ... to put everything in the particle's frame.
In that frame, the detector moves a distance ##L/\gamma## in time T - and you get the same equation out.

Notice how I constructed the relations from the physics rather than trying to find the "right" equation to manipulate?

Last edited:

What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains how the laws of physics work in a vacuum and how they are perceived by observers moving at constant velocities.

How is special relativity different from general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the laws of physics in a vacuum and for objects moving at constant velocities, while general relativity includes the effects of gravity and non-uniform motion.

What is the theory of time dilation in special relativity?

The theory of time dilation states that time moves slower for objects moving at high speeds, as observed by a stationary observer. This is known as the "twin paradox", where one twin who travels at high speeds ages slower than the other twin who stays on Earth.

How does special relativity explain the speed of light?

Special relativity states that the speed of light is constant and the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This is known as the "universal speed limit" and is a fundamental principle of the theory.

What are some practical applications of special relativity?

Special relativity has many practical applications, including GPS technology, particle accelerators, and nuclear power plants. It also helps us understand the behavior of high-speed objects, such as spacecraft and satellites.