1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special Relativity Spaceship Question

1. Oct 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    bob and anna are in two space ships of proper length 100m; anna's ship passes bob's and is moving in the -x dir at v=0.75c. the front of anna's ship and the tail of bob's ship coincide at x=x'=t=t'=0. bob sits at the window in his ship and sees a clock inside anna's ship
    a) what position is the window in bob's space ship
    b) what time does this clock in anna's ship read

2. Relevant equations
    x'=gamma(x-vt)
    x=gamma(x'+vt')
    t'=gamma(-v/c^2*x+t)
    t=gamma(v?c^2*x+t')
    delta t = gamma delta to
    L = Lo/gamma

3. The attempt at a solution
    a)

so if bob sees the clock at the end of anna's ship, then:

L=Lo/gamma = sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)*Lo = sqrt(1-0.75^2)*(100)=66.1m <-- position of bob's window in his space ship (distance from the end of his spaceship to the window)

b)

i tried :

x=100m
    v=0.75c

t'=x'/v = 4.45 * 10^-7 s

But I'm not sure if this is correct...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2014 #2
    One thing that isn't clear: Bob is situated at the front of his space ship?

Chet

4. Oct 5, 2014 #3
    The question doesn't state that. It's asking where the window is - I'm guessing that's the point at which he can see Anna's clock, and her window is at the end of her spaceship.

5. Oct 6, 2014 #4
    So, under this interpretation, you are looking at the event at which x' = L0 and t = 0. In part a, you showed that ##x=L_0/\gamma##. Now all you need to do is substitute this into the equation for t'.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted