Special Relativity: Theoretical Questions

In summary, according to relativity, traveling faster than the speed of light is equivalent to traveling back in time. Objects would have to experience infinite proper acceleration in order to achieve this speed and it will never be possible. Additionally, going faster than the speed of light is not possible, even in theory. Going back in time is not possible either.

Will we ever be able to travel at the speed of light?

• Never

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Almost Never

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Almost Someday

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Someday

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
d.smith292
I am still trying to understand a few things about special relativity.

Lets say I am traveling at the speed of light on a space ship.

1. Would this speed allow time to stand still for me?
2. Will this cause me to never age?
3. If I travel faster, would I be able to travel to the past?
4. If time slows at faster speeds, does this stall the aging process or do i continue to age normally?
5. If I age normal and time slowed would I gain a couple years in just a few hours?

These are a few things I have been pondering as of late.

What are your thoughts on the subject?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.

If I remember it right, when coming near to the speed of light (theoretically), timespace starts to curve for the object and time slows down. So (again, theoretically), at absolute speed of light, time could possibly stop, so that could object wouldn't age.

I'm not sure if object could go to the past when it exceeds the speed of light - because, according to the Theory of Relativity, the speed of light plays the role of an absolute speed in the universe, which means nothing could exceed this speed.
But then, traveling at the speed of light that you mention is probably impossible too...

I don't really understand what "almost someday" means, are you asking if we will someday be able to travel at almost the speed of light but slightly slower, or are you just asking if we "almost" believe it will be possible to travel at exactly the speed of light someday?

Anyway, according to relativity it would take an infinite amount of energy to accelerate a massive object to exactly the speed of light, and the object would have to experience infinite proper acceleration (infinite G-force), so I'd say it will never be possible to travel at exactly light speed, though traveling very close to light speed might someday be possible.

Last edited:
If we complete the ultimate diet we must travel at the speed of light.

Sorry about the confusion in the poll, I'm asking if you think we will ever be able to travel at the speed of light.

I know it would take an infinite amount of energy to propell something at the speed of light, but this is a theoretical question. If we did travel that fast, would we be able to go back in time?

d.smith292 said:
Sorry about the confusion in the poll, I'm asking if you think we will ever be able to travel at the speed of light.

I know it would take an infinite amount of energy to propell something at the speed of light, but this is a theoretical question. If we did travel that fast, would we be able to go back in time?

No. Going faster than the speed of light is equivalent to going back in time, in SR.

Right, because that would put us in the impossible zone, outside of the light cone and into the past light cone.
Is this right?

d.smith292 said:

You're right it is a theoretical question, since practically we cannot even get anywhere close to the speed of light. And the theoretical answer is unambiguously: no. You seem to acknowledge this by stating that you know it requires an infinite amount of energy, so clearly it is impossible!

To then go on an say "If we did travel that fast" is completely meaningless. You are asking what a theory would predict if that theory were wrong, which is complete rubbish.

I started this post with the intention of having some fun discussing physics with what we know as science fiction. I know time travel is imposible, but it's still fun to talk about. Keep your knickers on and calm down pal. Take yourself back to the first time you saw Doc Brown take marty Mcfly back to the future and enjoy the thoughts of time travel. It's fun to dream about traveling at the speed of light or traveling through time.

We do science here, not science fiction.

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that explains how objects behave at high speeds, close to the speed of light. It is a fundamental principle of modern physics and has been extensively tested and verified through experiments.

2. How does special relativity differ from classical mechanics?

Special relativity differs from classical mechanics in that it considers space and time to be relative, meaning that they can appear differently to different observers depending on their relative motion. In classical mechanics, space and time are absolute and do not change based on an observer's frame of reference.

3. What is the concept of time dilation in special relativity?

Time dilation is a phenomenon predicted by special relativity where time appears to move slower for objects in motion at high speeds. This means that a clock on a moving object would appear to tick slower compared to a clock at rest. This effect has been observed and measured in experiments.

4. How does special relativity explain the famous equation E=mc^2?

In special relativity, mass and energy are considered to be interchangeable and are related by the famous equation E=mc^2, where E is energy, m is mass, and c is the speed of light. This equation shows that even a small amount of mass contains a large amount of energy, and vice versa.

5. What are some practical applications of special relativity?

Special relativity has many practical applications, including the development of GPS technology, nuclear energy, and particle accelerators. It also plays a crucial role in modern physics theories, such as the Standard Model and the study of black holes.