1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special relativity - transformation of angle

1. Mar 21, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Capture.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    Gamma factor:
    $$\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\beta^2}} $$
    Lorentz contraction
    $$l'=\frac{l}{\gamma}$$
    Trig:
    $$ cos\theta = \frac{adjacent}{hypotenuse}$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    20170321_151624.jpg
    20170321_151630.jpg

I have all the quantities but the algebra doesn't seem to work out.

Thank you in advance for any help

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2017 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You've probably approached it the wrong way. Think about energy-momentum transformations for light instead.

4. Mar 21, 2017 #3
    wow, that was soo easy. Thank you.

However what was wrong with my method? I understand why your way works, but why didn't mine?

5. Mar 21, 2017 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There's a relativity of simultaneity issue that you missed. You need to use a Lorentz Transformation on the x-coordiate, not simply a length contraction.

6. Mar 21, 2017 #5
    Oh ok, thank you

7. Mar 21, 2017 #6

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I found my notes on this. If we do things in the Earth's frame first, with light emitted at ##t=0## with the star at ##(0,0)## and the Earth at ##(x,y)##, then ##\tan \theta = \frac{y}{x}##

Note that the light reaches Earth at ##t = \frac{r}{c}## where ##r^2 = x^2 + y^2##

In the star's frame, the light is emitted from ##(0,0)## at ##t'=0## and reaches the Earth at ##(x', y') = (\gamma(x-vt), y)## at some time ##t'## that isn't important.

So, ##\tan \theta' = \frac{y'}{x'} = \frac{y}{\gamma(x-vt)} = \frac{y}{\gamma(x-vr/c)}##

If you work through that and do a bit of trig manipulation, you should get the same answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted