Special relativity - transformation of angle

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of energy-momentum transformations for light and the importance of considering the relativity of simultaneity. The method of using a Lorentz Transformation on the x-coordinate is found to be more accurate than simply using a length contraction. The conversation also includes a mathematical explanation for this approach.
Toby_phys

Homework Statement

Capture.jpg

Homework Equations

Gamma factor:
$$\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\beta^2}} $$
Lorentz contraction
$$l'=\frac{l}{\gamma}$$
Trig:
$$ cos\theta = \frac{adjacent}{hypotenuse}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

20170321_151624.jpg

20170321_151630.jpg

I have all the quantities but the algebra doesn't seem to work out.

Thank you in advance for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
You've probably approached it the wrong way. Think about energy-momentum transformations for light instead.

wow, that was soo easy. Thank you.

However what was wrong with my method? I understand why your way works, but why didn't mine?

Toby_phys said:
wow, that was soo easy. Thank you.

However what was wrong with my method? I understand why your way works, but why didn't mine?

There's a relativity of simultaneity issue that you missed. You need to use a Lorentz Transformation on the x-coordiate, not simply a length contraction.

Oh ok, thank you

I found my notes on this. If we do things in the Earth's frame first, with light emitted at ##t=0## with the star at ##(0,0)## and the Earth at ##(x,y)##, then ##\tan \theta = \frac{y}{x}##

Note that the light reaches Earth at ##t = \frac{r}{c}## where ##r^2 = x^2 + y^2##

In the star's frame, the light is emitted from ##(0,0)## at ##t'=0## and reaches the Earth at ##(x', y') = (\gamma(x-vt), y)## at some time ##t'## that isn't important.

So, ##\tan \theta' = \frac{y'}{x'} = \frac{y}{\gamma(x-vt)} = \frac{y}{\gamma(x-vr/c)}##

If you work through that and do a bit of trig manipulation, you should get the same answer.

1. What is the basic concept of Special Relativity?

Special Relativity is a fundamental theory in physics that describes how space and time are relative to each other, and how they are affected by the motion of objects. It is based on two main principles: the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the principle of constancy of the speed of light, which states that the speed of light is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

2. How does Special Relativity transform angles?

In Special Relativity, angles are transformed using a mathematical formula known as the Lorentz transformation. This transformation takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction, which occur when an observer is moving at relativistic speeds. It also takes into account the fact that the speed of light is constant for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

3. What is the significance of the transformation of angles in Special Relativity?

The transformation of angles in Special Relativity is significant because it helps us understand how the perception of space and time changes for objects moving at different speeds. It also allows us to make accurate predictions about how objects will behave at high speeds, such as in particle accelerators or in space travel.

4. How is the transformation of angles related to the famous equation E=mc²?

The transformation of angles in Special Relativity is related to the famous equation E=mc² through the concept of mass-energy equivalence. This equation states that mass and energy are two forms of the same thing, and that they can be converted into each other. The transformation of angles helps us understand how this conversion occurs at high speeds, where the effects of Special Relativity become significant.

5. Can the transformation of angles be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the transformation of angles can be observed in everyday life, although the effects are very small at everyday speeds. However, they become more significant at extremely high speeds, such as in particle accelerators or in space travel. GPS satellites also use the principles of Special Relativity to accurately measure time and location on Earth, as their high speeds require the use of the Lorentz transformation to correct for time dilation.