1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Specific Heat Capacity, Heat Energy, Thermodynamics Physics

1. Mar 19, 2013 #1

RCF

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A block of ice has a mass of 150g and a temperature of -4°. The ice is melted by supplying 60KJ heat energy. Determine the final temperature of the melted water.

2. Relevant equations

Equations i think can be used:

Q = ml and H = mcΔθ

3. The attempt at a solution

I have attempted the solution with even different specific heat capacities but i am getting very high temperature which does not make alot of sense. Can you please help me out.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2013 #2

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Have you heard of latent heat? (if they still call it that. Anyway heat of melting.)

4. Mar 19, 2013 #3

RCF

yes but how to solve it using latent heat studies?

5. Mar 19, 2013 #4

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well if you know what latent heat is calculate the amount of heat energy that melts that amount of ice, which is without change of temperature, then the rest of the supplied 60 kJ goes into heating the water and ice, then use specific heats to calculate how much those kJ raise the temperature. You have presumably been supplied with the relevant physical parameters to use, else you will have to find them out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted