• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Specific Heat Capacity of aluminum rivets

• Thread starter moimoi24
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Some aluminum rivets of total mass 170 g at 100°C are emptied into a hole in a large block of ice at 0°C'
a. What will be the final temperature of the rivets?
b. How much ice will melt?

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

Please help me answer that, i don't know how to solve it....

Answers and Replies

rl.bhat
Homework Helper
Use the formula heat lost by aluminium rivet = heat gained by the ice.

CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
1) If the block of ice is very big the final temperature of the rivets will be close to zero as all the energy in the hot rivets will be dissipated.

2) See the reply by rl.bhat and read up on the "specific heat capacity" of aluminium and the "Latent heat Capacity" of water/ice.

please explain to me why the answer in the first question is zero?
Thanks..

please explain to me why the answer in the first question is zero?
Thanks..
You can look at it this way. When the aluminum rivets are emptied into that hole of ice, their temperature goes down to zero and during that process, energy is released which melts some of the ice. When the rivets are cooled down to zero, there is no further decrease in temperature and what you are left with is ice and the rivets at zero degrees.

i was able to solve the second, i got 45g using the formula given by rl.bhat, thanks a lot.. just the first, please...

You can look at it this way. When the aluminum rivets are emptied into that hole of ice, their temperature goes down to zero and during that process, energy is released which melts some of the ice. When the rivets are cooled down to zero, there is no further decrease in temperature and what you are left with is ice and the rivets at zero degrees.
Thanks a lot.... it really helps... God bless....

1) If the block of ice is very big the final temperature of the rivets will be close to zero as all the energy in the hot rivets will be dissipated.

2) See the reply by rl.bhat and read up on the "specific heat capacity" of aluminium and the "Latent heat Capacity" of water/ice.
Thanks a lot....