1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Specific Heat Capacity of aluminum rivets

1. Sep 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Some aluminum rivets of total mass 170 g at 100°C are emptied into a hole in a large block of ice at 0°C'
    a. What will be the final temperature of the rivets?
    b. How much ice will melt?

2. Relevant equations
    none

3. The attempt at a solution
    Please help me answer that, i don't know how to solve it....

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2012 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Use the formula heat lost by aluminium rivet = heat gained by the ice.

4. Sep 15, 2012 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1) If the block of ice is very big the final temperature of the rivets will be close to zero as all the energy in the hot rivets will be dissipated.

2) See the reply by rl.bhat and read up on the "specific heat capacity" of aluminium and the "Latent heat Capacity" of water/ice.

5. Sep 15, 2012 #4
    please explain to me why the answer in the first question is zero?
    Thanks..

6. Sep 15, 2012 #5
    You can look at it this way. When the aluminum rivets are emptied into that hole of ice, their temperature goes down to zero and during that process, energy is released which melts some of the ice. When the rivets are cooled down to zero, there is no further decrease in temperature and what you are left with is ice and the rivets at zero degrees.

7. Sep 15, 2012 #6
    i was able to solve the second, i got 45g using the formula given by rl.bhat, thanks a lot.. just the first, please...

8. Sep 15, 2012 #7
    Thanks a lot.... it really helps... God bless....

9. Sep 15, 2012 #8
    Thanks a lot....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook