Specific Latent Heat of Fusion problem

In summary, the problem involves determining the amount of heat energy needed to change 200 g of water at 25 degrees celcius into ice at -4 degrees celcius. The solution can be broken into three stages - the water dropping to freezing point, freezing into ice, and dropping to -4 degrees celcius. The equation Q= mc(Tf-Ti) + MLf + mc(Tf-Ti) can be used to calculate the heat energy required.
9giddjl

Homework Statement

An ice tray containing 200 g of water at 25 degrees celecius is placed in the freezer. How much heat energy has to be removed to change the water into ice at -4 degrees celcius?

Homework Equations

Q= mc(Tf-Ti) + MLf + mc(Tf-Ti)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the water is changing into ice however I am stumped because I don't know if the water is turning to -4 degrees celcius or 0 degrees celcius?

Any help will be muchly appreciated
Thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org
Break it into 3 stages.

The water drops to freezing point. Then it freezes into ice. Then it drops to -4 degrees.

i get it now! Thankyou soo much!
Kind regards:)

1. What is specific latent heat of fusion?

Specific latent heat of fusion is the amount of heat required to change one kilogram of a substance from solid to liquid at its melting point without changing its temperature.

2. How is specific latent heat of fusion different from specific heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one kilogram of a substance by one degree Celsius, whereas specific latent heat of fusion is the amount of heat required to change the state of one kilogram of a substance from solid to liquid at its melting point.

3. What factors affect the specific latent heat of fusion?

The specific latent heat of fusion is affected by the type of substance, pressure, and impurities present in the substance.

4. How is specific latent heat of fusion measured?

Specific latent heat of fusion is measured using a calorimeter, which is a device that measures the amount of heat absorbed or released during a phase change.

5. Why is specific latent heat of fusion important in industrial processes?

Specific latent heat of fusion is important in industrial processes because it helps determine the amount of energy needed to change a substance from solid to liquid, which is crucial in industries such as food processing, metal casting, and energy production.