• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Specific tips on taking a physics exam?

• Thread starter tnutty
  • Start date
I have an exam today, a final exam. Usually I don't ask this, but its an physics exam so I will
need as much as help I could said. With that said, I was wondering if you had any specific tips on taking a physics exam? Like how to dissect a problem.

Answers and Replies

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author

Just saw your post, so this is probably too late, but here's some general advice.

• Be familiar with all the equations you are being tested on, so that you can quickly figure out which equation or equations will apply to any particular problem. Corollary: know which equations do not apply to a given problem.

Example: "A wire carrying a current of 2.0 A is at 90 degrees to a magnetic field of 5.0 T ..."
    In this case, realize that equations dealing with current I and magnetic field B are relevant. Moreover, equations dealing with a charge q moving at velocity v are not relevant.

• Be able to draw a diagram to show what is going on pictorially. An example of this is using a free-body diagram to show the forces, including directions, acting on an object.

• Read the problem carefully, so that you are aware of all information that is being given you. Sometimes purely verbal information is actually conveying numerical information. Example: "An electron ..." means "a charge with q=-1.60x10-19C and mass m= 9.11x10-31kg..."

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author