1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Specific tips on taking a physics exam?

1. May 8, 2009 #1
    I have an exam today, a final exam. Usually I don't ask this, but its an physics exam so I will
    need as much as help I could said. With that said, I was wondering if you had any specific tips on taking a physics exam? Like how to dissect a problem.

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Tips

Just saw your post, so this is probably too late, but here's some general advice.

• Be familiar with all the equations you are being tested on, so that you can quickly figure out which equation or equations will apply to any particular problem. Corollary: know which equations do not apply to a given problem.

Example: "A wire carrying a current of 2.0 A is at 90 degrees to a magnetic field of 5.0 T ..."
      In this case, realize that equations dealing with current I and magnetic field B are relevant. Moreover, equations dealing with a charge q moving at velocity v are not relevant.

• Be able to draw a diagram to show what is going on pictorially. An example of this is using a free-body diagram to show the forces, including directions, acting on an object.

• Read the problem carefully, so that you are aware of all information that is being given you. Sometimes purely verbal information is actually conveying numerical information. Example: "An electron ..." means "a charge with q=-1.60x10-19C and mass m= 9.11x10-31kg..."

4. May 10, 2009 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook