Spectra: Where do the emission lines come from?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the observation of spectra in gases and the appearance of new lines when the intensity is turned up. The conclusion is that these lines were present all along but were less intense, possibly due to less probable transitions or contamination from different compounds. Further details and a spectrum would be helpful in understanding the situation.
nukeman
Im just trying to figure something out here. Iv been working on some spectra stuff.

Now, when I look at a gas, I see the spectra, but if I turn up the intesnsity, new lines appear? Where do these lines come from, as I am looking at the same game, just turned up intensity?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Not sure if I understand what you mean, but I guess these lines were there all the time, they were just less intense. Could be they are from less probable transitions, or from different compounds contaminating the sample.

You'll have to enlighten us as to what "turned up the intensity" means. Brightness knob on the monitor?

You could give us more details, but it seems to me that less probable transitions are starting to show up. But seriously, give us more detail, posting the spectrum would be nice.

The emission lines in spectra come from the characteristic energy levels of atoms or molecules within a gas. When energy is added to the gas, such as by increasing the intensity of the light source, the atoms or molecules are excited to higher energy levels. As they return to their ground state, they emit photons at specific wavelengths, creating new emission lines in the spectrum. The appearance of these new lines can provide valuable information about the composition and properties of the gas. It is important to carefully control the intensity of the light source in order to accurately interpret the emission lines in a spectrum.

1. What is a spectrum?

A spectrum is a range of colors or wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation, which can be seen in the form of a rainbow. It is produced when white light is passed through a prism or diffracted by a grating.

2. What causes the emission lines in a spectrum?

The emission lines in a spectrum are caused by the absorption and re-emission of light by atoms and molecules. When an atom or molecule absorbs energy, its electrons jump to higher energy levels. As they return to their original energy levels, they emit light at specific wavelengths, creating the emission lines seen in a spectrum.

3. How are spectra used in science?

Spectra are used in various fields of science, such as astronomy, chemistry, and physics. They can be used to identify the chemical composition of a substance, determine the temperature and pressure of a source, and study the movement and properties of stars and galaxies.

4. Why do different elements produce different emission lines?

Each element has a unique atomic structure, with a specific number of protons, neutrons, and electrons. This results in different energy levels and transitions for each element, leading to the production of distinct emission lines in their spectra.

5. Can emission lines be used to identify unknown substances?

Yes, emission lines can be used to identify unknown substances. By comparing the emission lines of an unknown substance to a database of known spectra, scientists can determine the elements present in the substance and potentially identify it. This is known as spectroscopy and is a commonly used technique in analytical chemistry.