Spectroscopy: Determining Phenol Concentration using Calibration curve

In summary, the lab instructor verified the calculations of the calibration curve, but the student is having difficulty determining the concentration of the unknown samples. The student attempted to solve for the concentration of the unknown samples using the equation of the line but got a negative value. The student tried fitting to y = ax + b but this falsified the equation if the thing being measured was near the bottom of the curve. The student then attempted to use the first datapoint to calculate the concentration of the unknown and compared it to the single point calibration. If the concentration of the unknown was off by more than 5%, the student used the single point calibration.
chemnerd666
Hello,

My problem is as follows:

The lab I am working on requires the construction of a calibration curve from the measured absorbance of samples of known phenol concentration to intrapolate the phenol concentration of two unknown samples. I have constructed the calibration curve and determined the equation of the line. The problem is that when I attempt to solve for the concentration of the unknown samples (in ppm), I get a negative value. I am not too sure how to correct this, I attempted changing the y-intercept to 0 but I do not think this is correct as it manipulates the "line of best fit". Is there anyone who knows what I am doing wrong?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hard to tell anything without seeing curve and the numbers.

If your best fit equation is in the form of y = mx + b, examine the constant 'b'. Is it a large negative value? If so, you have a large negative offset which usually indicates a problem in your math or your experimental setup. Ideally this number is close to zero.

The b value isn't large, 0.4229. The math is correct because I did it all using spreadsheet. The problem lies in solving for the phenol concentration of the unknown samples, the equation of the line is y=0.7916x +0.4229, the y intercept is at 0.5 for absorbance. Both of the absorbances of the unknown samples are 0.2254 and 0.2833 thus I cannot solve for their phenol concentration using that equation of the line as I get a negative value. What I tried was setting the y-intercept manually to zero, at least then I can solve for both of them but then I am unable to propagate for uncertainty since the equation isn't y=mx +b but rather y=mx.

I am attaching a word file with the graphs as well as the table of values.

Attachments

• Graphs table phenol.doc
    98.5 KB · Views: 469
Your absorbances are WAAAAAAY too high. Anything greater than about .8 is in the non-linear portion of the Beer's Law zone. You have absorbances greater than 3.5! Points off for technique. You should dilute all your samples so that you are measuring absorbances <= 0.8.

Your unknown must have an absorbance less than 0.4229? All of your calibration samples should have been with concentrations low enough to bracket this absorbance. Based on your graph, you should have made up calibration standards in the range of 0.05 to 0.8 ppm.

I agree with the last comment.

Fitting to ax + b falsifies if the thing you want to measure is then right near the bottom of the curve - it is in fact not what you said: "intrapolating".

You might then think to fit to y = ax, forcing the curve through the origin. But then if the deviation from linearity is systematic as it is, that is rubbish too, all the higher points become disinformative and you might as well use only the first point.

If when you re-do the calibration with lower abosrbances the curve is still systematically non linear you might think of not making a fetish of linearity - just read your unknowns off the curve drawn freehand. But I shall probably have the statisticians down on me for saying that.

Or worse, I shall have the statisticians enthusiastic about it and saying how to do it best statistically! :biggrin:

I cannot re-do the absorbances of each sample as this lab is for school. I followed a procedure made up by the lab instructor and she actually verified my calculations when making the standard solutions for the calibration curve, assuring me they were correct. So I guess I am S.O.L. for determining the concentration of the unknown samples as I am unable to do so with the calibration curve. I guess I have a lot of explaining to do. Hopefully I don't get an F on this...

Thank you all for your assistance, I probably would have gotten zero on this lab if I just did my own thing haha.

Best thing you can do now is just use the first datapoint (1ppm) and the origin (assume b=0). Find the concentration of the unknown and note it. Then recalculate the equation of the line using only the first two datapoints and determine the equation of the line for them (1 and 2 ppm data). Recalculate the concentration of your unknown and compare it with the the single point calibration. If they are off by more than 5% use the single point calibration, otherwise use the data from the first two calibration standards for your report.

1. What is spectroscopy and how is it used?

Spectroscopy is a scientific technique used to study the interaction between matter and electromagnetic radiation. It involves measuring the absorption, emission, or scattering of light by a substance, which can provide information about its chemical composition, structure, and concentration. In this case, spectroscopy is used to determine the concentration of phenol in a sample using a calibration curve.

2. What is a calibration curve and how is it created?

A calibration curve is a graph that shows the relationship between the concentration of a substance and the signal produced by a detection method, such as spectroscopy. To create a calibration curve for determining phenol concentration, a series of known phenol solutions with different concentrations are prepared and their corresponding signals are measured. The data is then plotted on a graph and a line of best fit is drawn to determine the relationship between concentration and signal.

3. What is the principle behind using a calibration curve for determining phenol concentration?

The principle behind using a calibration curve is that the signal produced by a substance, in this case phenol, is directly proportional to its concentration. By measuring the signal of a sample and comparing it to the calibration curve, the concentration of phenol in the sample can be determined.

4. Why is it important to use a calibration curve for determining phenol concentration?

Using a calibration curve is important because it allows for accurate and precise determination of the concentration of a substance. Since the signal produced by a substance is not always linearly related to its concentration, a calibration curve helps to correct for any non-linear relationships and provides a more reliable measurement of concentration.

5. Are there any limitations to using a calibration curve for determining phenol concentration?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a calibration curve. One limitation is that it assumes a linear relationship between concentration and signal, which may not always be the case. Additionally, the accuracy of the calibration curve depends on the accuracy of the standards used to prepare it. It is important to use high-quality standards and to properly handle and store them to minimize errors in the calibration curve.