Speed, acceleration time and distance

In summary, speed is the rate at which an object moves and is measured by dividing the distance traveled by the time it takes to cover that distance. Acceleration, on the other hand, is the rate at which an object's velocity changes and can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time it takes to make that change. Time is a crucial factor in both speed and distance, as they are directly proportional to each other. There are two types of speed: average speed and instantaneous speed, with the former taking into account the entire journey and the latter only considering a specific point. Speed and acceleration are closely related, with acceleration being the rate of change of an object's speed and resulting in a change in speed depending on whether it
ybm
[SOLVED] Speed, acceleration time and distance

Homework Statement

A car is traveling at 4.2m/s and accelerates at 1.1ms (squared).

In the time of 7.4 seconds how far has the car travelled?

Homework Equations

Not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't work it out so I'd really appreciate a little help, I know I sound dumb but i need it!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
D = Vot + 1/2at^2

Thank you so much :)

What is speed and how is it measured?

Speed is the rate at which an object moves. It is measured by dividing the distance traveled by the time it takes to cover that distance. The standard unit of speed is meters per second (m/s).

What is acceleration and how is it calculated?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes. It can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time it takes to make that change. The standard unit of acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s²).

How is time related to speed and distance?

Time is a crucial factor in both speed and distance. The speed of an object is directly proportional to the distance it can cover in a given time. Similarly, the distance traveled by an object is directly proportional to the time it takes to cover that distance.

What is the difference between average speed and instantaneous speed?

Average speed is the total distance traveled divided by the total time taken, while instantaneous speed is the speed of an object at a particular moment in time. Average speed takes into account the entire journey, while instantaneous speed only considers a specific point.

What is the relationship between speed and acceleration?

Speed and acceleration are closely related. Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's speed. This means that a change in acceleration will result in a change in speed, and vice versa. If an object is accelerating, its speed will increase or decrease depending on whether the acceleration is positive or negative.