1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed and direction of a travelling wave

1. Sep 20, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]\Psi(y,t)=A\cos^22\pi(t-y) [/tex]
    Show that this is a travelling wave. Use the general form of a travelling wave to determine its speed and direction.
    Verify your answer using [tex]\frac{-\partial \Psi / \partial t}{\partial \Psi / \partial x}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    The general form of a travelling wave from class is [tex]\Psi(x,t)=f(x-vt)[/tex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I tried to just use the form of the travelling wave, but the thing that confused me was whether or not I had to switch around the order of (t-y) in the equation to (-y+t)? If I leave it as is I get that the speed (v) is -1, but if I change the equation to read (-y+t) the speed becomes 1 instead. Either way using the partial derivative equation verifies my answer. I can post my handwritten work if neccesary for proof that I attempted it.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Please show your work (ideally typed here, that is easier to read. You can also use LaTeX). That should not happen as t-y is exactly the same as -y+t.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted