Speed of a Roller Coaster, Conservation of Energy

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 10K views
LiquidPi
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A roller coaster travels on a frictionless track as shown in the figure.
(a) If the speed of the roller coaster at Point A is 5.0 m/s, what is its speed at Point B?
(b) Will it reach Point C?
(c) What speed at Point A is required for the roller coaster to reach Point C?

Please view the attached figure. In case the image is too blury, the height of Point A = 5.0 meters, and the height of Point C = 8.0 meters.

Homework Equations



KE = 0.5*m*v^2
PE = m*g*y, where y = vertical position

The Attempt at a Solution



KE = PE
0.5*m*v^2 = m*g*y
mass cancels
0.5*v^2 = g*y
v = √(2*g*y)

What confuses me is what to do with the starting speed at Point A, 5.0 m/s. If the velocity at the top was zero, then the problem would be relatively straightforward. Where do I go from here? Thanks in advance!
 
Attachments
  • PhysicsProblem.jpg
    PhysicsProblem.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 1,230
Physics news on Phys.org
A) PE at point a and KE = KE at point b
So m*g*h + 0.5*m*u^2 = 0.5*m*v^2
I think you can do the rest
B) Nope
C) KE lost = PE gained
I can't see the numbers on the image attached!
 
alewisGB said:
A) PE at point a and KE = KE at point b
So m*g*h + 0.5*m*u^2 = 0.5*m*v^2
I think you can do the rest
B) Nope
C) KE lost = PE gained
I can't see the numbers on the image attached!

Excellent, thank you!