1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of body traveling in elliptical path

1. Sep 30, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A body follows an elliptical path defined by r = sd/(1-s*cosP), where s and d are constant. If the angular speed is constant (dP/dT = w), show that the body's speed is v = rw[1+{(r*sinP)/d}^2]^(1/2)

2. Relevant equations
    v = dr/dT*rhat + r*dP/dT*Phat; P = theta, I am not sure how to insert a theta symbol

3. The attempt at a solution
    Right now I am thinking that I should find dr/dt. But as I see it since, there is no time dependence in the original equation, dr/dt = 0. Am I safe to take the derivative of r and use it as v? I am thinking no, since v is the magnitude of the velocity vector. Thanks for the help!
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You've got the parts of it right, but you're a little confused.

[tex] \vec{v} = \frac{d}{dt} (r \hat{r} ) = r \omega \hat{\theta} + \hat{r} \frac{dr}{dt} [/tex]

From this, you can write down the magnitude of the velocity, [itex] | \vec{v} | [/itex]

The only missing piece, is to evaluate dr/dt. This you can do from the elliptic equation, with the time dependence embedded in [itex] \theta(t) [/itex].
  4. Sep 30, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use the chain rule. d/dT=d/dP*dP/dT. P is a function of time and so is r through it's dependence on P.
  5. Sep 30, 2007 #4
    I figured it out, I was stuck after I took the derivative, then i solved for r/d and the answer was right there in front of me! Thanks for the help!!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?