Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of Falling Objects Creating A Filter System

1. Feb 18, 2016 #1
    I'm currently in High School and we have to create an idea to make the world better. Mine is to use the force of gravity and convert it to energy to power a system that will filter air. This is supposed to be used in developing countries where there are large amounts of biomass and harmful particles in the air, so there can be no electricity used.
    Since I have absolutely no advanced knowledge in physics, I made a rough diagram that has the basics of what I want my project to do (it is an attached file, and I suggest looking at that before continuing reading).
    So pretty much a weight will go down, and at the same time will generate a force that will suck in the air around it. I want to know how heavy that bag would have to be to suck in the biomass and air particles, and what my system would have to look/be like to accomplish this goal.
    I know that's not a lot to go on, but any help would be great! Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2016 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

The lack of specificity makes it impossible, I think, to answer your question but I have one for you. Since there will inevitably be some amount of wasted energy in getting the bag back up and therefor an overall waste of energy, why is your proposal better than just having someone pull on the rope to move the gears and leave the bag out of it entirely? There ARE possible reasons for using the bag but you have not expressed any knowledge of the issue.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

4. Feb 18, 2016 #3
    There has been one invention where gravity was used to create electricity. In their case, they used 25kg that dropped at 1mm/1 minute. For something to fall at that same speed for creating a filtration system, is there a way we could figure out more specifics about the filter itself?

5. Feb 18, 2016 #4

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For low power LED lights:

6. Feb 18, 2016 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

FIrst, you did not answer my question. The fact that something possibly similar has been done does not answer my question. Second, this is YOUR project. You need to research the filter. I'd suggest as a first cut just poking around on the internet. If you can't find anything useful, maybe open a new thread asking for help on the filter.

7. Mar 1, 2016 #6

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

+1

You need to know how much power it takes to filter the required air flow.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook