1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of Waves traveling on a taut string

1. Apr 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If the string is mass 9.5 m long, has a mass of 55g and is pulled taut with a tension of 6N, how much time does it take for a wave to travel from one end of the string to the other?

2. Relevant equations

v=√(T/M)
    M=mass/length

3. The attempt at a solution

First I converted 9.5m to 950cm and 55g to .055kg
    then i divided .055/950 and divided 6 by the answer I got for that, and then took the square root. I got 320 as my answer (in 2 sigfigs) but it is saying that is incorrect.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2012 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why would you convert to cm units?

In the SI system of units, the standard units are meters, kilograms, seconds.

There's nothing wrong with moving to a different system, as long as you are consistent. If you convert length from meters to centimeters, you should also convert Newtons to some other units. Newtons have units of kg m/sec2. So you'd have to convert that to kg cm/sec2.

But why bother? It's easier to just stick with SI units.
    Now that conversion I can understand. :approve:
    'Sounds like you're trying to calculate the velocity. That's fine: it's an intermediate step. But don't consider it your final answer. The problem statement is asking you for time, not velocity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook