Speed of Waves traveling on a taut string

In summary: So keep going!In summary, the problem involves finding the time it takes for a wave to travel from one end of a string to the other, given the string's length, mass, and tension. The attempt at a solution involved converting units and using equations to calculate velocity, but the final answer should be the time, not the velocity.
eagles12

Homework Statement

If the string is mass 9.5 m long, has a mass of 55g and is pulled taut with a tension of 6N, how much time does it take for a wave to travel from one end of the string to the other?

Homework Equations

v=√(T/M)
M=mass/length

The Attempt at a Solution

First I converted 9.5m to 950cm and 55g to .055kg
then i divided .055/950 and divided 6 by the answer I got for that, and then took the square root. I got 320 as my answer (in 2 sigfigs) but it is saying that is incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
eagles12 said:

Homework Statement

If the string is mass 9.5 m long, has a mass of 55g and is pulled taut with a tension of 6N, how much time does it take for a wave to travel from one end of the string to the other?

Homework Equations

v=√(T/M)
M=mass/length

The Attempt at a Solution

First I converted 9.5m to 950cm
Why would you convert to cm units?

In the SI system of units, the standard units are meters, kilograms, seconds.

There's nothing wrong with moving to a different system, as long as you are consistent. If you convert length from meters to centimeters, you should also convert Newtons to some other units. Newtons have units of kg m/sec2. So you'd have to convert that to kg cm/sec2.

But why bother? It's easier to just stick with SI units.
and 55g to .055kg
Now that conversion I can understand. :approve:
then i divided .055/950 and divided 6 by the answer I got for that, and then took the square root. I got 320 as my answer (in 2 sigfigs) but it is saying that is incorrect.
'Sounds like you're trying to calculate the velocity. That's fine: it's an intermediate step. But don't consider it your final answer. The problem statement is asking you for time, not velocity.

1. What factors affect the speed of waves traveling on a taut string?

The speed of waves traveling on a taut string is affected by the tension, mass per unit length, and length of the string. The speed is also dependent on the medium through which the wave is traveling, such as air or water.

2. How does the tension of a string affect the speed of waves?

The speed of waves traveling on a taut string is directly proportional to the tension in the string. This means that as the tension increases, the speed of the waves also increases.

3. Does the mass of the string affect the speed of waves?

Yes, the mass per unit length of the string does affect the speed of waves traveling on it. Heavier strings will have a slower wave speed compared to lighter strings, assuming all other factors are constant.

4. Is there a relationship between the length of the string and the speed of waves?

Yes, there is an inverse relationship between the length of the string and the speed of waves. This means that as the length of the string increases, the speed of the waves decreases, and vice versa.

5. How does the medium through which the wave travels affect its speed on a taut string?

The medium through which the wave travels can have a significant impact on the speed of waves on a taut string. Different mediums have different properties that can either increase or decrease the speed of the waves. For example, sound waves travel faster in water compared to air, so a wave traveling on a taut string in water will have a higher speed compared to one traveling in air.