Speed Ratio of Two Children with Different Masses

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 8K views
solars
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Two children are facing each other. Child one has mass of 45kg and the other 65 kg. They push off one another and move in opposite directions. What is the ratio of child one's speed to child 2's?
Answer choices:
a 45:65
b 45:110
c 1:1
d 65:45
e can't tell from this info

I don't know where to start, so I'm thinking the answer is e.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
solars said:
Two children are facing each other. Child one has mass of 45kg and the other 65 kg. They push off one another and move in opposite directions. What is the ratio of child one's speed to child 2's?
Answer choices:
a 45:65
b 45:110
c 1:1
d 65:45
e can't tell from this info

I don't know where to start, so I'm thinking the answer is e.
Consider conservation of momentum.
 
Surely part of the question has been left off. The children are on skates, so that they move frictionlessly? If so, as Hootenanny said, use conservation of momentum.