Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Speed related to Average Velocity

1. Jan 31, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am having difficulty thinking about this problem. How is speed related to average velocity?

A car travels along a straight line at a constant speed of 47.0 mi/h for a distance d and then another distance d in the same direction at another constant speed. The average velocity for the entire trip is 33.5 mi/h.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have been trying to think of it in these terms

(54 + Q) = 33.5

I know this isn't right....can I get some direction

Thanks!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2012 #2
    Velocity is a vector, meaning that it has a size and direction, speed is a scalar meaning that it only has a size.

Assuming relative values , distance d is equal to distance d, your set up could be:
    (47MPH Forward + (X)MPH Forward)/2d = 33.5 Forward

Let d be any real number, in this case the simplest number, one. you would then have:
    (47MPH Forward +(X)MPH Forward)/2 = 33.5 Forward
    (47MPH Forward +(X)MPH Forward) = 67

Remember if it ask for a vector as a answer you MUST provide direction.

SPOILER: Attempted Soution-
    X MPH Forward = 20

4. Jan 31, 2012 #3
    Where does (54+Q) come from? This probably belongs in the relevant equations section.
    speed is a scalar quantity, average velocity is a vector
    also
    this isn't asking a clear question, despite it's presence in the problem statement

5. Jan 31, 2012 #4
    I think he is solving for the second "constant speed"

6. Jan 31, 2012 #5
    Such a kind person so unlike myself XD indeed it was, or seems to be, implicitly there

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook