Finding a second velocity with a first and average velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses a practice problem involving a car traveling at a constant speed for a certain distance and then another distance at a different constant speed. The average velocity for the entire trip is given, and the conversation explores different equations and approaches to find the second velocity. Ultimately, it is determined that using the distance/speed formula is the correct method to solve the problem.
Heidi

Homework Statement

A car travels along a straight line at a constant speed of 44.5 mi/h for a distance d and then another distance d in the same direction at another constant speed. The average velocity for the entire trip is 28.5 mi/h. NOTE: this is a practice problem.

Homework Equations

V_avg=(V_i+V_f)/2

The Attempt at a Solution

28.5=44.5/2+V_f/2
28.5*2-44.5=V_f
V_f=12.5 mi/h
This is not correct because the answer sheet says that the answer is 21 mi/h. I have been trying different ways including a proportionality using distance and time, but I cannot seem to get 21 as any of my answers. I feel as if none of the equations I have been given help with this problem because there is no acceleration or exact time and exact distance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using a weighted average as your relevant equation, rather than the mean of the velocities, which assumes an equal time traveled at each velocity.

MarkFL said:
Try using a weighted average as your relevant equation, rather than the mean of the velocities, which assumes an equal time traveled at each velocity.
How might I go about doing that then? It would give me two unknowns instead of just one.

Heidi said:
How might I go about doing that then? It would give me two unknowns instead of just one.

I would begin by stating:

##\displaystyle\overline{v}=\frac{v_1t_1+v_2t_2}{t_1+t_2}##

Now, you are given ##\overline{v}## and using the relation ##d=vt##, can you express the RHS in terms of everything else given, as well as the unknown velocity?

Your expression for the average velocity (or more correctly speed in this case) is total distance traveled divided by total time required to travel that distance.

MarkFL said:

Now, you are given ##\overline{v}## and using the relation ##d=vt##, can you express the RHS in terms of everything else given, as well as the unknown velocity?
MarkFL said:

I finally got it figured out. I was supposed to use the distance/speed formula. Thank you for your help anyway!

1. How do you find the second velocity with a given first and average velocity?

To find the second velocity, you can use the formula: second velocity = 2 x average velocity - first velocity. This formula is based on the mathematical concept of averages and can be applied to any situation where you have two known velocities and want to find the third.

2. Can you explain the concept of average velocity?

Average velocity is a measure of the overall rate of change of an object's position over a given time period. It is calculated by dividing the total displacement (change in position) by the total time taken. This value represents the constant velocity that would result in the same overall displacement over the same time period.

3. What units are used for velocity?

Velocity is typically measured in units of distance per time, such as meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h). However, it can also be expressed in other units depending on the context, such as miles per hour (mph) or feet per second (ft/s).

4. Can you use this formula for any type of motion?

Yes, the formula for finding the second velocity with a given first and average velocity can be used for any type of motion, as long as the acceleration remains constant. This includes both linear and circular motion, as well as motion in a straight line with changing direction.

5. How can this formula be applied in real-world situations?

This formula can be applied in various real-world situations, such as calculating the speed of a moving object based on the distance it has traveled and the time it took, or determining the velocity of a vehicle based on its initial speed and the average speed recorded by a speedometer. It can also be used in physics experiments to analyze the motion of objects and determine their velocities at different points in time.