Speed when Spring is Stretched

In summary, when a force of 20 N is applied to a 1.50 kg block that is at rest on a frictionless table, the block will stretch by 0.300 m and the speed will be 4.47 m/s.
Manni
A 1.50 kg block is at rest on a table and is attached to a horizontal spring with a spring constant of 19.6 N/m. The spring is initially not stretched. A constant force of 20 N horizontal force is applied to the object causing the spring to stretch. Determine the speed of the block when it has stretched 0.300 m. Assume the table is frictionless.

The way I did it:

E = (mv^2)/2 + (kx^2)/2
1/2kA^2 = (mv^2)/2 + (kx^2)/2

Do I simply rearrange for speed?

Physics news on Phys.org
What about the 20 N force? Where does that come in?

(But considering energy is the right idea.)

Doc Al said:
What about the 20 N force? Where does that come in?

(But considering energy is the right idea.)

I use it to find the amplitude

F = -kx
20 = -kA
-A = 20/k

Negative sign can be omitted since amplitude is treated in a A/-A fashion.

Manni said:
I use it to find the amplitude

F = -kx
20 = -kA
-A = 20/k
No, that's not quite right. The force is continuously applied. Instead, consider the work done by that force.

Yes, you can rearrange for v. :D

Great, but when I did that I still got the wrong answer.

The answers I have to choose from are:

4.47 m/s, 70.6 m/s, 44.7 m/s, 2.61 m/s, and 8.96 m/s

Last edited:
Another hint. You'll use this:
Manni said:
E = (mv^2)/2 + (kx^2)/2
But what's E? What's putting energy into this system?

what's your wrong answer? and what's the right one?

maCrobo said:
what's your wrong answer? and what's the right one?

I got 3.52 m/s, and it's not even offered as one of the choices.

maCrobo said:
Yes, you can rearrange for v. :D
No you can't.

Then, I'm getting curious. E = (mv^2)/2 + (kx^2)/2 can't he simply rearrange for v? O_O why?

maCrobo said:
Then, I'm getting curious. E = (mv^2)/2 + (kx^2)/2 can't he simply rearrange for v? O_O why?
Before solving for v, you must first find the correct expression for the energy, E.

Think about this: the spring and the mass can be thought as a system, then you apply a force F on it... so what happens to the energy?

Work energy theorem seems like the simplest way to solve it.

Oh, I got it!

You need to sub in (A-0.300) meters for x, and not 0.300 m!

Manni said:
Oh, I got it!

You need to sub in (A-0.300) meters for x, and not 0.300 m!
:confused:

At the point in question, the displacement from equilibrium x is given as 0.300 m. (Forget about the amplitude; this is not SHM.)

Elastic P.E + K.E = Total Energy = Work done when the mass travels 0.3m under a force whose magnitude is 20N

What is the relationship between speed and the length of a stretched spring?

The speed of a stretched spring is directly proportional to its length. This means that as the length of the spring increases, its speed also increases.

How does the mass of an object affect the speed of a stretched spring?

The mass of an object does not directly affect the speed of a stretched spring. However, a heavier object may require a stronger force to stretch the spring to a certain length, resulting in a higher potential energy and potentially a higher speed when the spring is released.

Can the speed of a stretched spring be changed by changing the stiffness of the spring?

Yes, the speed of a stretched spring can be changed by changing the stiffness of the spring. A stiffer spring will require more force to stretch to a certain length, resulting in a higher potential energy and potentially a higher speed when released.

How does air resistance affect the speed of a stretched spring?

Air resistance can affect the speed of a stretched spring by slowing it down. The resistance of the air will act against the spring's motion, causing it to lose some of its energy and therefore reducing its speed.

Is there a limit to how fast a stretched spring can move?

Yes, there is a limit to how fast a stretched spring can move. This limit is determined by the physical properties of the spring, such as its length, stiffness, and mass. Factors such as air resistance, friction, and external forces can also affect the maximum speed of a stretched spring.