Speeds of tennis balls after collision

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 8K views
balletgirl
Messages
35
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A 0.0600 kg tennis ball, moving with a speed of 2.50 m/s, has a head-on collision with a 0.0900 kg ball initially moving away from it at a speed of 1.00 m/s. Assuming a perfectly elastic collision, what is the speed and direction of each ball after the collision?

Homework Equations



m1v1+m2v2 = m1v1'+m2v2'

The Attempt at a Solution



with the given, I know that
m1= .06 kg
m2=.09 kg
v1= 2.5 m/s
v2= 1.0 m/s
after this, I don't know where to start?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi balletgirl

Plug all the data to the equation you wrote and you lack one more equation, which is V1-V2=V2' - V1'
 
Okay so I do 2.5-1.0= V2'-V1'. I don't understand how you find those final numbers.
&
.06kg(2.5m/s) + (.09kg)(1.0m/s) = m1v1'+m2v2'
 
You have two equations and two variables so just use elimination or substitution
 
I don't understand the concept.
I thought I was solving for four variables: m1' v1' m2' and v2'
Anyways I got to .135=m1v1'+m2v2'
1.5= V2'-V1'

it didn't work out when I tried using elimination or substitution
 
Okay just realized a dumb mistake. The mass will stay the same. This will make everything a lot easier for me.