1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sphere rolling down an incline problem.

1. Nov 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A uniform solid sphere, of radius 0.20 m, rolls without slipping 6.0 m down a ramp that is inclined at 28° with the horizontal. What is the angular speed of the sphere at the bottom of the slope if it starts from rest?

2. Relevant equations
    KE=1/2Iw^2
    PE=mgh
    I don't know what to use for this.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ma = MgSin(28)-Ff

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi veg, welcome to PF.
    Your attempt at a solution has fallen off the map, and there is some more needed under 2) relevant equations.

I hope you've done a few slip/non slip slope exercises and are familiar with the combination of rolling and accelerating ?

In that case you know that he kinetic energy equation you listed applies to rotation about a stationary axis. Here, however, the axis is moving down the slope, which accounts for a kinetic energy due to linear motion too: KE = 1/2 m v2. So revise the list of eqns and show your attempt at solution , please :)

4. Nov 5, 2014 #3
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A uniform solid sphere, of radius 0.20 m, rolls without slipping 6.0 m down a ramp that is inclined at 28° with the horizontal. What is the angular speed of the sphere at the bottom of the slope if it starts from rest?

2. Relevant equations
    w=(theta)/t
    a=w/t
    v=r(theta)/t
    I don't know what to use for this.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Acceleration = m(9.81m/s^2)(sin(28)) - Friction
    At the end it did 6.0m/2pi(0.20m) revs over the time it took. (4.78rev/t)
    from mgh=1/2mv^2+1/2Iw^2 i can get v^2=2gh/(1+I/mr^2)
    I have no idea how to find the time from these variables.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  5. Nov 5, 2014 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Much better!
    This way I can ask some pertinent questions that might help you to get going.

##\omega =\Delta \theta/t## is for average angular velocity. Not good here: we have some constant acceleration and some constant angular acceleration, and the coupling is established by the non-slipping condition, which you kind of mention: ##v = \omega r##.

Look up some equations for linear motion with constant acceleration plus some (surprisingly similar-looking) equations for angular motion with constant angular acceleration and see what you can use to get a grip on this nice exercise !

There might even be a shortcut possible: the time isn't asked for, so perhaps an energy balance (more equations still!) gets us to the answer in one fell swoop (provided it's a complete balance...) !

6. Nov 5, 2014 #5
    Ok i think i got it.
    v=rw
    x=r(theta)
    a=r(angular a)

(9.81)(sin(28))/(0.20)=angular a=23
    (theta)=6/0.20=30
    w^2=2(23)(30)
    [w=37.1] is this correct?

7. Nov 5, 2014 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Acceleration = m(9.81m/s^2)(sin(28)) - Friction was better ! So ##\alpha## is alittle smaller than you think.

Friction is the one that causes the ball to rotate around its axis. Look up ##\tau = I\alpha## and ##\tau = r \times F##.

At the risk of repeating myself:
    Look up some equations for linear motion with constant acceleration plus some (surprisingly similar-looking) equations for angular motion with constant angular acceleration and see what you can use to get a grip on this nice exercise !

8. Nov 5, 2014 #7
    Ok so what i did to try to find it is i took sin(28)*6 to find the height of at the start which is 2.82m
    Then i did mgh=1/2mv^2 + 1/2Iw^2 which worked out to be 2gh=v^2
    I got v as 7.438m/s and from that i did v/r=w
    so i got w as 37.2m/s
    I just need to convert it to rad/s

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  9. Nov 6, 2014 #8

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##mgh = {1\over 2} mv^2 + {1\over 2} I\omega^2\ \Rightarrow \ 2gh = v^2 + I\omega^2/m## is good. That's the energy balance.

The ##2gh=v^2## that you worked out misses the rotation part and can't be right.
    And then: re dimension: ##v=\omega r##, so with v in m/s and r in m, the quotient is in radians/s, not m/s.

Since you have ##v=\omega r## you only need ##I## to crack this one. (No need to go via ##v## if they want ##\omega##)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted