1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sphereically Symmetric potential well

1. Aug 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle that movies in three dimensions is trapped in a deep spherically symmetric potential V(r):

V(r) = 0 at r < r[itex]_{}0[/itex]
    --> ∞ at r ≥ r[itex]_{}0[/itex]

where r[itex]_{}0[/itex] is a positive constant. The ground state wave function is spherically symmetric, so the radial wave function u(r) satisfies the one-dimensional Schroedinger energy eigenvalue equation (6.17) with the boundary condition u(0) = 0 (eq. 6.18).

Using the known boundary conditions on the radial wave function u(r) at r = 0 and r = r[itex]_{}0[/itex], find the ground state energy of the particle in this potential well.

2. Relevant equations
    -[itex]\hbar^{2}/2m[/itex] [itex]d^{2}/dr^{2}[/itex]u(r) + V(r)u(r) = Eu(r)

u(r) = rψ(r)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that there is no potential V(r) to deal with, since it is zero inside the well and infinite outside.

I also know that ψ is zero at r[itex]_{}0[/itex] and finite at zero.

So, that leaves me with finding a solution to

-[itex]\hbar^{2}/2m[/itex] [itex]d^{2}/dr^{2}[/itex]u(r) = Eu(r)

which I am a bit confounded with. Even then, how do I go from a solution to that to finding the ground state energy?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2012 #2
    This is a differential equation that should hopefully be familiar to you from your basic DiffEq class. It may help to eliminate some of the constants to clean it up a bit:

[tex]\frac{\partial^2}{\partial r^2} u(r) = -A^2 u(r)[/tex]

Where [itex]A = \sqrt{2mE/\hbar^2}[/itex]. See if you can work out the basic type of function that will satisfy this equation (hint: what function yields minus itself when differentiated twice?)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook