Spherical Harmonics/Angular Momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between Lz and L+, with the goal of showing that L+=(x+iy)m. The first speaker suggests that Lz|lm>=m\hbar|lm> may provide some insight, while the second speaker clarifies that (x+iy)^m should not be equated with |lm>. The conversation ends with confusion about the meaning of \hat{L}_+.
atomicpedals

Homework Statement

Given that Lz(x+iy)m=m[itex]\hbar[/itex](x+iy)m. Show that L+=(x+iy)m.

2. The attempt at a solution

I'm probably grasping at straws here, but when I see the expression for Lz I instantly go to Lz|lm>=m[itex]\hbar[/itex]|lm>. This then leads me to suspect that |lm>=(x+iy)m. Is this correct, and how on Earth does it get me any closer to what I want to show for the raising operator?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not exactly. What [itex]\hat{L}_z(x+iy)^m=\hbar m(x+iy)^m[/itex] tells you is that [itex](x+iy)^m \propto \langle x,y | l~m \rangle[/itex]. You need to keep the distinction between kets and the representation of the ket in some basis. Writing [itex](x+iy)^m = |l~m\rangle[/itex] is, at best, a terrible abuse of notation.

I have no idea what [itex]\hat{L}_+ = (x+iy)^m[/itex] is supposed to mean.

1. What are spherical harmonics?

Spherical harmonics are mathematical functions that describe the distribution of a scalar field over the surface of a sphere. They are used to represent a wide range of physical phenomena, such as electromagnetic fields, acoustic waves, and quantum mechanical states.

2. How are spherical harmonics related to angular momentum?

Spherical harmonics are closely linked to angular momentum because they arise from the quantization of the angular momentum operator in quantum mechanics. The eigenfunctions of this operator are the spherical harmonics, and the corresponding eigenvalues represent the magnitude of the angular momentum.

3. How are spherical harmonics used in physics?

Spherical harmonics are used in a variety of areas in physics, such as quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and fluid dynamics. They are particularly useful in solving problems involving spherical symmetry, such as the motion of electrons in an atom or the radiation pattern of an antenna.

4. How do you calculate spherical harmonics?

The exact method for calculating spherical harmonics depends on the specific problem being solved. In general, they can be computed using integrals or by solving differential equations. There are also various numerical methods for approximating spherical harmonics.

5. What are some applications of spherical harmonics?

Spherical harmonics have numerous applications in fields such as physics, computer graphics, and geodesy. They are used to model the Earth's gravitational field, to generate realistic images of 3D objects, and to analyze the orientation of celestial bodies. They are also essential in the study of quantum systems and their symmetries.