1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical vectors and rotation of axes

1. Jan 2, 2016 #1
    I have a velocity vector as a function of a latitude and longitude on the surface of a sphere. Let us assume I have a point V(lambda, phi) where V is the velocity. The north pole of this sphere is rotated and I have a new north pole and I have a point V'(lambda, phi) in the new system. I have the transformation matrix between the unrotated system and rotated system in terms of a position defined in terms of lambda and phi.
    Rather than just multiplying the rotation matrix by this transformation matrix I must differentiate the components of the transformation matrix with respect to time and multiply that result by the column vector containing the velocities. Is that correct ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What does this mean:
    Are you just wanting to find the coordinates of the velocity vector in a new spherical coordinate system that arises from a rotation of the axes of the original spherical coordinate system around a line through the origin of the original system?

4. Jan 3, 2016 #3
    Yes exactly.

I have velocities in the unrotated frame with respect to a geographical north pole of the earth. I have also been given the position of a point in the unrotated frame as well the origin of the rotated north pole.

I have defined theta the rotation angle in terms of the coordinates of a position in the unrotated frame and rotated frame using law of cosines/sines. Now all I need to do is construct the rotation matrix and multiply the velocities ?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook