Does $$S_1^x$$ commute with $$S^2$$?

In summary, spin commutation relations are mathematical equations that describe the interaction between different components of quantum particles with spin. They are important in understanding and predicting the behavior of these particles and have various applications. There are two types of spin commutation relations, namely spin operators and Pauli matrices, which affect the properties of particles by determining their spin quantum numbers. However, there are exceptions to spin commutation relations, such as when particles have non-zero magnetic moments or interact with external magnetic fields.
Diracobama2181
Homework Statement
Consider a tetrahedron with four spin (1/2) particles, one at each of the vertices. Suppose the Hamiltonian is given by $$H=\sum_{i\neq q}S_iS_j$$. Show that all three components of the total spin $$J =\sum_{i}S_i$$ of the system commutes with $$H$$.
Relevant Equations
$$S^2=S_{1}^2+S_{2}^2+S_{3}^2+S_{4}^2+2\sum_{i\neq q}S_iS_j$$
$$H$$ can be rewritten as $$H=\frac{1}{2}(S^2-S_{1}^2-S_{2}^2-S_{3}^2-S_{4}^2)$$. Let's focus on the x component, $$J^x=\sum_{i}S_i^x$$. Now $$S_1^x$$ commutes with $$S^2_1, S^2_2, S^2_3, S^2_4$$, but does it commute with $$S^2$$? If not, what is the exact relation between $$S^2$$ and $$S_1^x$$?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, figured it out. $$S_1^x$$ does not commute with $$S^2$$. However, $$S^2=J^2$$, so $$J^2$$ commutes with $$H$$,which I believe implies each component of $$J$$ also commutes.

1. What are spin commutation relations?

Spin commutation relations are mathematical equations that describe the behavior of quantum mechanical particles with spin, such as electrons. These relations describe how the spin operators of two particles interact with each other.

2. Why are spin commutation relations important?

Spin commutation relations are important because they help us understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level. They allow us to make predictions about the behavior of particles with spin and have been verified through numerous experiments.

3. How are spin commutation relations derived?

Spin commutation relations are derived using mathematical tools such as the Pauli matrices and the Dirac equation. These equations describe the properties of spin and allow us to derive the commutation relations between spin operators.

4. What is the physical significance of spin commutation relations?

The physical significance of spin commutation relations is that they govern the behavior of particles at the quantum level. They allow us to understand how particles with spin interact with each other, which is crucial for many applications in quantum mechanics and technology.

5. Can spin commutation relations be generalized to other systems?

Yes, spin commutation relations can be generalized to other systems with spin, such as atoms and nuclei. They can also be extended to systems with higher spin values, beyond the basic spin-1/2 particles that were initially described by Pauli.