Uncertainty Relation for Eigenstate of Spin-1/2 Particle

In summary: Edit: Also, you should perhaps look for a different way of computing your expectation values. I suspect the one you quoted will not be very helpful. How would you compute ##P_1## and ##P_2## and how would you compute ##\left< S_x^2 \right>##?I suggest you Google "quantum expectation values" and find a tutorial on how to do it.
Robben

Homework Statement

Calculate ##\triangle S_x## and ##\triangle S_y## for an eigenstate of ##\hat{S}_z## for a spin##-\frac12## particle. Check to see if the uncertainty relation ##\triangle S_x\triangle S_y\ge \hbar|\langle S_z\rangle|/2## is satisfied.

Homework Equations

##S_x =\frac12(S_+ +S_-)##
##S_y = \frac{1}{2i}(S_+-S_-)##

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure what I have to do in this problem. For the matrix representation I have that:

##S_x = \frac{\hbar}{2}\left[\begin{array}{ c c }0 & 1 \\1 & 0\end{array} \right]##
##S_y = \frac{\hbar}{2i}\left[\begin{array}{ c c }0 & -1 \\1 & 0\end{array} \right].##

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition of uncertainty? I suggest you start from that and see what you can find based on it.

Orodruin said:
What is the definition of uncertainty? I suggest you start from that and see what you can find based on it.

I was more concerned on the first part of the question.

Yes? The uncertainty is ##\Delta S_x##, how is it defined? Later you can go on to the uncertainty relation, which as the name suggests is a relation of uncertainties.

Orodruin said:
Yes? The uncertainty is ##\Delta S_x##, how is it defined? Later you can go on to the uncertainty relation, which as the name suggests is a relation of uncertainties.

Ops, I thought you were talking about the uncertainty relation. But regarding ##\triangle S_x## the uncertainty is defined as ##\sqrt{\langle S_x^2\rangle -\langle S_x\rangle^2}##, where ##S_x = \frac{\hbar}{2}P_1 -\frac{\hbar}{2}P_2##.

So all I do is do matrix multiplication with ##S_z##, i.e.

##(S_x) (S_z)=\frac{\hbar}{2}\left[\begin{array}{ c c }0 & 1 \\1 & 0\end{array} \right]
\left[\begin{array}{ c c }1 & 0 \\0 & -1\end{array} \right].##

Last edited:
So what do you get when you evaluate the expectation values for an eigenstate of ##S_z##? How do you compute the expectation value of any operator in a given state?

To compute the expectation value of any operator ##\hat{\mathbb{O}}## for a particle in the state ##|\phi\rangle## is defined as ##\langle \hat{\mathbb{O}}\rangle = \langle \phi|\hat{\mathbb{O}}|\phi\rangle.## But what will the eigenstate for ##S_z## be?

Robben said:
But what will the eigenstate for SzS_z be?

I suggest you take one of the ones required by the problem statement, i.e., any of the eigenstates of ##S_z##.

Orodruin said:
I suggest you take one of the ones required by the problem statement, i.e., any of the eigenstates of ##S_z##.

That doesn't help me understand.

So let us try it this way: What are the eigenstates of ##S_z##?

Edit: Also, you should perhaps look for a different way of computing your expectation values. I suspect the one you quoted will not be very helpful. How would you compute ##P_1## and ##P_2## and how would you compute ##\left< S_x^2 \right>##?

Orodruin said:
So let us try it this way: What are the eigenstates of ##S_z##?

Well, in the book it states that ##\hat{\mathbb{J}}_+|\lambda,m\rangle## is an eigenstate of ##\mathbb{J}_z## (where I was told that ##\mathbb{J}_z## and ##\mathbb{S}_z## are interchangeable)##.

Edit: Also, you should perhaps look for a different way of computing your expectation values. I suspect the one you quoted will not be very helpful. How would you compute ##P_1## and ##P_2## and how would you compute ##\left< S_x^2 \right>##?

So I can't use ##S_x = \frac{\hbar}{2}P_1 -\frac{\hbar}{2}P_2##? I do not know any other way of computing the expectation values other than that definition.

Robben said:
Well, in the book it states that ##\hat{\mathbb{J}}_+|\lambda,m\rangle## is an eigenstate of ##\mathbb{J}_z## (where I was told that ##\mathbb{J}_z## and ##\mathbb{S}_z## are interchangeable)##.
Yes, but it requires that you already are familiar with another eigenstate. Are you familiar with how to find the eigenvectors of a matrix?

So I can't use ##S_x = \frac{\hbar}{2}P_1 -\frac{\hbar}{2}P_2##? I do not know any other way of computing the expectation values other than that definition.

Not unless you figure out how to comput ##P_1## and ##P_2##. What about the way you quoted in post #7?

Orodruin said:
Yes, but it requires that you already are familiar with another eigenstate. Are you familiar with how to find the eigenvectors of a matrix?

Yes, I am familiar with how to find eigenvectors. In quantum mechanics, I have difficulty in setting up the problem correctly. Computing it, I can do but setting it up I need a lot more practice with.
Not unless you figure out how to compute ##P_1## and ##P_2##. What about the way you quoted in post #7?

That I know how to compute, its just that I am having trouble finding ##|\phi\rangle##. Since we have ##S_x##, i.e., ##
S_x = \frac{\hbar}{2}\left[\begin{array}{ c c }0 & 1 \\1 & 0\end{array} \right].## Thus, I need to compute ##\langle\phi|S_x|\phi\rangle##.

So, how do you represent ##S_z## in matrix form? What are the eigenvectors of that matrix? (The eigenvectors of the matrix represent the eigenstates.)

Likes Robben
Orodruin said:
So, how do you represent ##S_z## in matrix form? What are the eigenvectors of that matrix? (The eigenvectors of the matrix represent the eigenstates.)

In matrix form ##
(S_z)=\frac{\hbar}{2}
\left[\begin{array}{ c c }1 & 0 \\0 & -1\end{array} \right].##

... and so the eigenvectors are ...

Likes Robben
Orodruin said:
... and so the eigenvectors are ...

Will the eigenvectors just be ##|+z\rangle = {1\choose 0}## and ##|-z\rangle ={0 \choose 1}?##

You tell me. Is ##S_z |+z\rangle = \lambda_+ |+z\rangle## for some constant ##\lambda_+##?

Likes Robben
Orodruin said:
You tell me. Is ##S_z |+z\rangle = \lambda_+ |+z\rangle## for some constant ##\lambda_+##?

Yup, it does satisfy that. I made this more difficult than it is. -__-. Thank you very much!

Just to resolve the problem itself: What do you get for ##\langle S_x\rangle## and ##\langle S_x^2 \rangle##, respectively? What is the resulting uncertainty relation?

Orodruin said:
Just to resolve the problem itself: What do you get for ##\langle S_x\rangle## and ##\langle S_x^2 \rangle##, respectively? What is the resulting uncertainty relation?

Using ##\langle \hat{\mathbb{O}}\rangle = \langle \phi|\hat{\mathbb{O}}|\phi\rangle \implies \langle +z| S_x|+z\rangle.## Therefore, ##\langle S_x\rangle = 0##

Yes, this is correct. And ##S_z^2##?

Orodruin said:
Yes, this is correct. And ##S_z^2##?
##S_x^2## will also equal ##0## since , ##\langle S_x\rangle^2=0##.

Robben said:
##S_x^2## will also equal ##0## since , ##\langle S_x\rangle^2=0##.
No, ##S_x^2## is a different operator than ##S_x##. So you need to actually compute its uncertainty by itself.

DelcrossA said:
No, ##S_x^2## is a different operator than ##S_x##. So you need to actually compute its uncertainty by itself.
Opps, thank you very much for catching that! It will equal ##\frac{\hbar^2}{4}## instead of ##0##.

Related to Uncertainty Relation for Eigenstate of Spin-1/2 Particle

1. What is an eigenstate in quantum mechanics?

An eigenstate in quantum mechanics is a state of a quantum system in which the state vector is a multiple of the corresponding eigenvalue. This means that the state is stable and will not change over time without an external influence.

2. How is an eigenstate different from a superposition state?

An eigenstate is a state with a definite value for a particular observable, while a superposition state is a combination of multiple eigenstates with different probabilities. In an eigenstate, the system is in a definite state, while in a superposition state, the system is in a combination of different states at the same time.

3. What is the significance of eigenstates in quantum mechanics?

Eigenstates play a crucial role in quantum mechanics as they are the only states that can be measured with certainty. They also form the basis for understanding the behavior of quantum systems and are the building blocks for more complex states.

4. Can an eigenstate change over time?

No, an eigenstate is a stable state that will not change over time without an external influence. This is because the state vector is a multiple of the corresponding eigenvalue, meaning the state is already at its lowest possible energy and cannot decrease any further.

5. How are eigenstates related to the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation is used to describe the time evolution of quantum systems. Eigenstates are the solutions to this equation, and they represent the stationary states of the system. This means that the system will remain in that state if there are no external influences acting on it.